Entry-Level Police Officer
Aurora Police Department (CO) - Aurora, Colorado
May 3, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- May 31, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $$56,984.00 - $76,469.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $$91,986.00 annual
The Civil Service Commission is accepting applications toward establishing a new Prospective Employment List (PEL) for an anticipated academy on August 30, 2021 with a projected end date of February 24, 2022. Once you submit an application and pass the minimum qualifications screening, all updates and/or instructions regarding the hiring process will be sent via email as it becomes available.(Note: Dates are subject to change and this list may be used for additional academies in 2021, so do not hesitate to apply. )
The City of Aurora is looking for individuals who represent diversity in thought and experiences, which are shared by our citizens. Candidates must have strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing. Candidates should possess good interpersonal skills, common sense, and have the ability to problem solve.
Examples of Duties
A comprehensive list of a police officer's duties is not possible, but officers working within the Aurora Police Department perform some of the following functions:
- Handle (emergency and non-emergency) calls for service received by our Communications Center.
- Investigate and determine what type of, or if, crimes have occurred.
- Make sound decisions using knowledge, training and experience.
- Positively interact with the public.
- Problem solve complex community issues and look for innovative solutions to reduce repeat calls for service.
You can also find more information at the ++APD recruiting website.++
Applicants passing minimum qualifications must also pass the FrontLine exam, an Aurora Police fitness test, and attend the Aurora Police Recruiter's "So, you want to be a Cop?" seminar. Notifications and information about requirements and deadlines will be sent to you once you complete the online application and pass minimum qualifications. We will accept Frontline scores from the National Testing Network valid through June 14, 2021 to be considered for the August academy. Visit: ++National Testing Network++ to register for an exam as soon as possible. Please ensure that you select Aurora as one of the agencies you want to submit your scores to when you register with NTN, or go back and add Aurora if you have already registered with NTN before the opening date of this posting.
We are hiring for a projected August 2021 Entry-Level Academy.
This position will remain open until May 31, 2021.
*Dates are subject to change and this list may be used for additional academies in 2021.
Please note: You will not have the option to change/revise your application once it is submitted. It is imperative you proofread the application before submitting it. If you are disqualified for incorrectly answering a question on the application, there is no appeal process. You will be required to wait until the next hiring period.
· Follow the link below to complete a job application: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/auroracs
++Basic requirements to apply: ++
· must be 21 YOA when the Academy is projected to end,
· no felony convictions on your criminal history,
· High School Diploma or GED,
· must have a valid driver’s license,
· no marijuana usage within one year of the date of application,
· must be a U.S. Citizen OR a lawful, permanent resident.
The #1 complaint of applicants who do not make it through the Police Academy and/or Field Training is a lack of physical and mental preparedness. Things you can do to prepare for this career:
· Attend the “So, you want to be a Cop” seminar (required to complete the hiring process)
· Participate in a ride-along
· Speak with a Recruiter
· Speak with Patrol Officers
· If you don’t already have a physical fitness regimen, begin one. ++NOW++.
++2020 COVID updates:++
· Ride alongs are suspended until further notice.
· “So, you want to be a Cop” seminars are limited to current applicants ++only++. Once we reopen the hiring process, all applicants will be notified via email of seminar availability.
++Physical Fitness Video:++
· Entry-Level applicant packet: contains information about the Department, the hiring process, etc.
· Physical Fitness Guide: please review the attached guide to ensure you are adequately prepared for the Physical Fitness Test.
· In-state/Out-of-State hiring process flow chart: contains information about the hiring process, step-by-step.
· APD Ride Along: currently suspended, however once we reopen them, applicants currently in the process may participate.
· Citizen’s Police Academy: currently suspended, however once we reopen them, a beneficial way to learn more about our department from a civilian standpoint.
· Fingerprint Instructions, CO POST Rules on Foreign Credentials, CSC Rules: FAQ re CO POST, Civil Service Commission, etc.
In our experience, applicants tend to have several questions after they’ve reviewed the above information. Write those questions down as they come up, and the Recruiters will answer them.
We look forward to meeting you.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: None