Code Enforcement Officer
Bandera City Marshal's Office - Bandera, Texas
Apr 20, 2023
- Application Deadline:
- Apr 1, 2024
- Entry Level:
- $Yes annual
Performs field inspection and administrative work determining compliance with established laws and ordinances under general direction of the Chief Deputy. Enforces City residential and commercial ordinances.
++Essential Duties and Responsibilities++
· Ensures conformity with City rules, regulations, and ordinances.
· Investigates complaints regarding violations of ordinances; initiates follow-up activities by interviewing property owners, tenants, and complainants to determine nature of violation; recommends measures for correcting violations.
· Makes inspections to enforce ordinances and codes of the City.
· Reads site plans and performs zoning inspections for fences, swimming pools, slabs, sheds, and screen enclosures according to approved plans.
· Inputs all data into computer system to properly document all cases including property ownership, cited violations, remedies, and significant dates.
· Prepares reports and maintains records of work performed.
· Checks for the possession of license, registration, permits for vendors, solicitors and the general public pertaining to garage sales, day care operations and residential alarm systems.
· Conducts annual Occupational License Inspections and coordinates corrections with Business Tax Specialist.
· Provides liaison services to the business community for promotional and special event activities.
· Provides educational material and explanation of codes to the general public and the business community.
· Assists the Building Inspector as necessary in conducting inspections or investigations.
· Punctuality and regular attendance are essential functions of this position.
· May perform other assignments and handle special projects as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
++*Scope of Supervision *++
Works under general supervision of Chief Deputy with minimal supervision. The employee must exercise considerable independent judgment: however, unusual or difficult technical and enforcement problems are reviewed with the Chief Deputy.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. At least two (2) years of verifiable work experience in Customer Service to include the ability to handle difficult and/or irate customers. Verifiable work experience in code enforcement, plan review, zoning inspections, municipal codes, ordinances, laws, and regulations is a plus.
Must have a Texas Driver’s License with a good driving record. Code Enforcement Officer certification through Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation preferred but will consider Code Enforcement Officer in training. Certification must be completed within 30 days of employment.
Applicant must pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) fingerprint-based background check and maintain CJIS eligibility. Due to CJIS requirements related to system access, the following will result in being disqualified for this position: Felony Convictions, Felony Deferred Adjudication, Class A & B Misdemeanor Deferred Adjudication, Class B Misdemeanor Convictions, an Open Arrest for Any Criminal Offense (Felony or Misdemeanor), and Family Violence Convictions.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit while driving and performing administrative work. The employee is also required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to operate assigned equipment and vehicle and to adhere to all safety guidelines. Possibility of exposure to irate citizens. Possibility of exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals, materials and inclement weather while in the field.
++Knowledge, Skills and Abilities++
· Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodation, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
· Knowledge of the provisions in the Texas Motor Vehicle Code relating to the operation of motorized equipment on public streets and highways.
· Working knowledge of using computers to prepare records, reports, and input case file data.
· Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, or similar software, with the ability to quickly learn new software.
· Knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws relating to code compliance.
· Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
· Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
· Skilled in oral and written communication.
· Skilled in handling multiple tasks, planning and prioritizing.
· Ability to use two-way radios.
· Ability to work weekends, evenings and overtime, as needed.
· Ability to read and understand municipal Code of Ordinances, and legal procedures for enforcement.
· Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications accurately to determine compliance with established standards.
· Ability to read and interpret ordinances, laws, procedures, site plans, plats, maps, legal descriptions, and interpret zoning codes.
· Ability to read, write, understand and follow oral and written instructions in English.
· Ability to conduct inspections and ascertain facts through good investigation(s).
· Ability to make accurate field measurements and to prepare testimony with back-up documentation.
· Ability to enforce regulations with tact and good judgment and have good customer service skills.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with local business owners, the general public, supervisors, and employees.
- Age: 21 or over
- Education: High School Diploma or G.E.D. At least two (2) years of verifiable work experience in Customer Service to include the ability to handle difficult and/or irate customers.
- Experience: Verifiable work experience in code enforcement, plan review, zoning inspections, municipal codes, ordinances, laws, and regulations is a plus.
Marshal Nancy De Foster