Lateral Officer - $16,000 Bonus
Bellevue Police Department - Bellevue, Washington
May 27, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Mar 22, 2022
- Entry Level:
- $7838 - 8352 plus incentives for education and shift differential monthly
This position performs investigative and general police work involving the protection of life and property, apprehension of criminal offenders, enforcement of laws and ordinances, and the preservation of peace. Work normally involves patrol, investigation, and traffic enforcement duties, which may be performed in police vehicles, on motorcycles, on bicycles, or on foot.
Bellevue Police Officers are strongly oriented toward community services and support community based law enforcement policies. Initial assignment will be to the Patrol Section for a minimum of one year. Patrol officers work one of four shifts for a calendar year. The work week follows a seven day “10/40” schedule (10 hour forty minute shifts and four or five days off per week). This schedule allows for significant shift overlap with regularly scheduled training. Most specialty units also work some type of 4/10 schedule. Officers are allowed and encouraged to exercise on duty up to 3 hours per week.
If you’re looking for a change, we’re looking for you. The Bellevue Police Department is always accepting applications from experienced police officers considering a lateral move. Specifically, we’re interested in sworn police officers who have been working full-time for at least two years. If that’s you, keep reading. We offer many things that other smaller agencies just can’t, like our compensation, lifestyle and historically low crime rate. Besides the fact you’ll be working in “one of the most livable cities in America,” we have one of the fastest-growing departments in the region. That means plenty of opportunity for career development and job security. So let’s talk specifics:
- You’ll start your new career in our patrol division and you may be eligible to apply for specialty positions or a promotion after one year of service.
- Your prior experience factors into your starting pay. Depending on your prior service, it’s possible you could find yourself at our highest pay step – contingent on one year of successful service with the Bellevue Police Department.
- We encourage officers from around the country apply. Out-of-state officers need to pass the Basic Law Enforcement Equivalency Classroom Academy. This is an 80-hour course administered by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission.
- As a lateral hire, you will accrue vacation time based on your cumulative law enforcement experience at the time of hire.
- Initial testing, interviews, background and Psychological exam (administered after a conditional job offer) can be completed remotely and via MS Teams
- We will travel to your state for the on-site background process;
- With a successful background, only then will you need to travel here to meet the Chief and complete the Polygraph, and Medical portions.
LATERAL APPLICANTS $16,000 SIGNING INCENTIVE!
BONUS IS PAID AS FOLLOWS:
$5000 upon initial hire. $5000 upon successful completion of FTO. $6000 upon successful completion of your 1 year probationary period.
The City of Bellevue Police Department is committed to providing its officers with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package:
- Generous overtime and compensatory time policy
- Up to 5% educational pay incentive and up to 12% longevity incentives. These incentives may be stacked.
- 4% premium pay for specialty job assignments
- The City does not participate in Social Security, but offers a 401(k) plan (MEBT). The City contributes to MEBT what it would have paid to Social Security. The City contributions are allocated to you based on your match-eligible contributions.
- 457 tax deferred compensation plan – will accept rollovers from your existing 401(k) or (a); 403(b); 457(b) or Traditional IRA
- State LEOFF II retirement plan
- Generous health benefits including full medical, dental, vision, and flexible spending account
- [FSA] Exercise on duty (three hours per week) 100% of equipment provided by department Generous professional development and training opportunities, minimum of 24 hrs/year
- 12 recognized holidays with holiday pay (120 hours per year). Standard vacation accrual of 8.7 hrs/month rising in steps to 14.7 hrs/month at 20 yrs of service. Vacation accrual based on total law enforcement experience at other agencies as eligible
** If interested, apply, apply at ProtectBellevue.com**
- Age: 21
- Education: High School
- Experience: 2 years of Law Enforcement Experience, with no more than a 6 month break in Service
- Educational requirements: Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must be a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- No felony convictions.
- No illegal use or possession of any illegal drug within the past three years (marijuana one year). No illegal sale of any drug.
- Misdemeanor convictions, including traffic violations, will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Be able to comply with the Bellevue Police Department policy on tattoos and body decorations.
- A Bellevue Police Officer must also be able to present credible testimony in a court of law. Other minimum requirements exist but are not listed on this document.