Lateral Police Officer
Sworn US Law Enforcement
Carbondale PD - Carbondale, Illinois
May 5, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $$52,166 annual
- Lateral Transfer:
- $$64,584 (Five years experience) annual
- Top Pay:
- $$74,048 annual
Lateral Entry Police Officer
Must be a U.S. citizen or legally authorized to work in the U.S.
$3,000 signing bonus
Base Salary $64,584 (5 YEARS EXPERIENCE)
- At least 21 years of age.
- Proof of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Proof of a valid Driver's License.
- Two or more years of post-probationary work experience as a police officer in the U.S.
- In good standing with current department and/or left previous department(s) in good standing.
- Must have substantially equivalent skills and abilities as a City of Carbondale post-probationary officer, as determined by the Chief of Police.
- Must successfully complete an oral interview and background investigation.
- Must successfully complete a medical examination and psychological tests.
- No felony convictions. NOTE: Some convictions for misdemeanors or serious traffic offenses may also disqualify applicants from further consideration.
The City of Carbondale requires its employees in pay grades 1 to 7 to live within a nine mile radius from the center of Carbondale. City employees in pay grades 8 and 9 must reside within the Carbondale city limits. A residency nine mile radius map (PDF) is accessible for viewing. The nine mile radius is outlined in RED. Please zoom in to accurately check for addresses within the nine miles. To check a residence close to the boundaries of the radius, contact the Planning Department at (618) 457-3248.
Submit completed applications to 200 S. Illinois Avenue, Carbondale, Illinois. Applications may be obtained at City Hall. The City of Carbondale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The following benefits are available to all full-time employees:
- IPMG (Illinois Program Managers Group) Health Insurance – Employee cost is paid by the City; cost for family members is paid by the employee
- Guardian Dental/Vision Insurance – Employee cost is paid by the City; cost for family members is paid by the employee
Life Insurance – Cost is paid by the City
IMRF (Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund) – 4.5% of employee pay each pay period. The City match is 2 to 1
- Vacation/Sick Leave – Full-time employees accrue vacation and sick leave each pay period
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Experience: 2 years post-probationary police work in the U.S.
Submitted applications are reviewed by the Human Resources Manager for work experience, education and any specific requirements as posted in the job description. Qualified applicants are interviewed for the position. The HR Manager selects one candidate they feel is most qualified for the position. An offer of employment is pending until a pre-employment drug test is received.