Police Officer (Lateral/Academy Graduate with Current POST Certificate)
Clayton Police - Clayton, California
Sep 14, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $$6,160 monthly
- Academy Graduate:
- $Current certificate of completion from a POST-approved police academy annual
- Lateral Transfer:
- $$6,160 - $7,488 monthly
- Top Pay:
- $$7,488 monthly
The City of Clayton is an upscale bedroom community nestled at the northern foot of Mt. Diablo. It shares a common border with the City of Concord. On the remaining perimeter, Clayton is surrounded by open space and parks which are managed by the East Bay Regional Park or Mt. Diablo State Park systems. Clayton’s population is approximately 12,803 and it has grown over 50% during the past 20 years. Build out is expected to be at a population of 13,000 to 14,000. The Clayton City Hall/Police Department is uniquely located in a renovated winery, originally built in 1885. The offices are modern, comfortable, and attractive, merging Clayton’s past with its active present.
The Clayton Police Department has a present authorized strength of 11 full-time sworn members, 2 civilians. The Department is a generalist law enforcement agency with duties that include all aspects of police work. Sworn positions primarily work on a 3-12 schedule, and may be assigned to specialized collateral assignments such as school liaison, field training officer, traffic accident investigator, or Detective. The Department’s employees take pride in their work and in the community they serve. The Police Department is dedicated to a community-oriented policing philosophy.
Officers are assigned to a patrol shift under general supervision with the express goal of protecting life and property. An officer assigned to patrol is responsible for providing public assistance, answering calls for service, traffic enforcement and investigation, enforcement of laws and ordinances, and preparing reports and other related activities as required. Officers are expected to follow up on reports, investigate each incident thoroughly and testify in court when necessary.
The City of Clayton offers an attractive employment benefit package which includes:
· Retirement: CalPERS (formula dependent on member status in CalPERS):
o Tier 2 is 2% @ 50 (employee pays 11.25% in FY 20-21);
o PEPRA is 2.7% @ 57 for New Members (employee currently pays 13% contribution, subject to annual adjustment).
· Deferred Compensation: The City offers deferred compensation plans, with voluntary employee contributions only.
· Health Plans: “Cafeteria plan” with a monthly health contribution cap paid by City. The employee may apply City portion toward premiums for medical and/or dental insurance for self and/or dependents under specified conditions and categories.
Medical: Choice of Kaiser, Blue Shield, Anthem, and/or Health Net SmartCare; (thru CalPERS)
Dental: Available through Delta Dental
· Life Insurance and Disability: A term life insurance policy of $50,000 is paid by the City. The City also pays for Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance.
· Vacation Leave: Typical accrual starts at 2 weeks up to 5 weeks annually based on longevity and increasing with years of service.
· Sick Leave: 8 hours accrued per month.
· Holidays: City observes 11 paid holidays;
· Personal Holidays: 24 hours per year.
· $1,200 annual uniform allowance paid in semi-annual installments of $600.
· Education Incentive Plan: (POST Intermediate – 2% of base pay;
POST Advanced – 4% of base pay).
· Shift differential pay.
· Longevity pay.
· Bilingual pay.
· Employee Wellness Program available.
· Optional participation in a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Expense Reimbursement Account.
· Be at least 21 years of age at time of employment.
· A citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
· Possess a valid Class C California Driver License.
· Possess a high school diploma or equivalent (College level course work is highly desirable).
· Current certificate of completion from a POST- approved police academy.
· Vision correctable to 20/20 in each eye with no serious color vision deficiency.
· Able to communicate clearly both orally and in writing (Possess a demonstrable comprehension of the correct usage of spelling, grammar, and punctuation).
· Be self-motivated and able to work independently.
· Able to deal effectively with both fellow employees and members of the public.
· Ability to work various shifts, hours, and holidays.
· Typing and computer skills preferred. The Department utilizes a computer-based records and report system generated on PC and laptop computers.
The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, running, jumping, reaching, twisting, kneeling, bending, squatting, and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires both near and far vision and acute hearing. Additionally, incumbents may work outdoors in all weather conditions including wet, hot, and cold. The position entails working in hazardous situations and may involve abusive persons, potential physical violence and the potential risk or exposure to blood borne pathogens in the performance of law enforcement duties. The nature of the work also requires the incumbent to drive motorized vehicles, operate a variety of law enforcement equipment, work in heavy vehicle traffic conditions, and often work with constant interruptions.
A City application is required to be completed and may be obtained online at: ++www.ci.clayton.ca.us++. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filed via email to ++email@example.com++.
Initial screening of applications will be based on quality of experience, education, and training. Those selected will be subject to an interview, writing skills test, a thorough background check, a polygraph exam, a medical examination, and a psychological evaluation. Failure to successfully pass any portion of the selection process will eliminate a candidate from further consideration.
Upon appointment, the employee must successfully complete a prescribed Field Training Program and serve an 18-month probation period during which the employee must demonstrate the ability to perform the work assigned to the position.
++AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER++
Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Candidates selected will be invited to participate in a panel interview process. The successful finalist must pass a Livescan/DOJ fingerprint check, a pre-employment physical examination, and a comprehensive background investigation. Upon appointment, each new employee must serve a probationary period during which the employee must demonstrate sufficient capacity and ability to perform the work assigned to this position.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent (College level course work is highly desirable)
- Experience: Current certificate of completion from a POST-approved police academy