Wake County Sheriff's Office - Raleigh, North Carolina
Aug 11, 2022
- Application Deadline:
- Nov 1, 2022
- Entry Level:
- $$22.50 hourly
- Academy Graduate:
- $$23.63 plus incentives hourly
- Lateral Transfer:
- $$23.63 plus incentives hourly
With a wide array of services, Wake County Government is at the heart of a rapidly growing and diverse area offering residents, employees, and visitors exciting opportunities to live, work, grow, and play. Wake County Government employs approximately 4100 employees and approximately 1000 of those are employed by the Sheriff’s Office which provides Law Enforcement services throughout the community. With over 850 square miles of area and over 1 million residents, Wake County Sheriff’s Office is the primary law enforcement agency for those in the unincorporated areas of the County. For more information about Wake County Government, visit www.wakegov.com and the Wake County Sheriff’s Office at www.wakegov.com/sheriff.
Deputy Sheriff Duties:
A Wake County Deputy Sheriff is responsible for the general law enforcement services required by the Office of the Sheriff. These services include serving the public, keeping the peace as well as protecting the lives, rights and property of all those within the County of Wake. A Deputy Sheriff’s duties include providing security for the courts, transporting inmates, answering calls from the public, investigating complaints and criminal activity, traffic enforcement, developing suspects, arresting perpetrators, serving civil and criminal process as well as other papers as required by the courts, and any other special assignments upon request.
A Deputy Sheriff is expected to be of good moral character, possess sound judgment, make decisions in both normal and emergency situations and use discretion while carrying out the details of each task.
The applicant must be willing to work various schedules including a 12-hour rotating shift with holidays and weekends.
Deputy Sheriff Salary and Incentives:
Hourly rate for Deputy Sheriff Cadet is $22.50 per hour (approximately $46,795 annually).
After completion of the Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy and state certification is obtained, the Deputy Sheriff will receive an additional 5% plus incentives for education (Associates 3% and Bachelor’s 6%), military (Reserve 2% and Active Duty 3%), prior experience (varies) and fluency in any foreign language 4%.
Application website for Deputy Sheriff Cadet: https://ewaketalent.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/3/home/requisition/3833?c=ewaketalent
Application website for NC BLET Certified Deputy Sheriff: https://ewaketalent.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/3/home/requisition/3832?c=ewaketalent
- Age: 21+
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience: None needed
Requirements for Hiring:
· Citizen of the United States
· Must not have been charged or convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor (Class B) within the past 5 years
· Must not have been charged or convicted of more than 3 Class A or Class B misdemeanors
· Must be willing to relocate to not more than 10 miles outside of Wake County within 60 days from date of hire (Deputy Sheriff)
· Candidates must undergo an extensive background investigation including, but not limited to, physical fitness assessment, reading test, medical exam, drug screen and psychological exam.
· Candidates shall meet all the applicable standards with the North Carolina Sheriff’s Training and Standards Commission as well as the policies of the Wake County Sheriff’s Office.