City of Gillette - Gillette, Wyoming
Jun 25, 2020
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 13, 2020
- Entry Level:
- $25.70 hourly
- Academy Graduate:
- $25.70 hourly
- Lateral Transfer:
- $25.70 hourly
- Top Pay:
- $38.55 hourly
• High school diploma, GED or equivalent.
• Candidates must be 21 years of age at time of hire.
• Must possess at the time of application and must maintain a valid Driver’s License.
• Vision: 20/20 Corrected.
NATURE/PURPOSE OF WORK
This position is responsible for the enforcement of federal, state, and local laws and the protection of life and property.
EXAMPLES OF PRIMARY DUTIES
As required, serves in one or more major areas of assignment. Patrols an assigned area of the City in a radio-equipped vehicle. Checks businesses/residences to prevent criminal activities. Enforces state and municipal laws/ordinances. Issues citations. Responds to calls involving assaults, fights, domestic disturbances, and other criminal activities/civil complaints. Secures the scene. Conducts preliminary investigations.
Arrests, questions and transports suspects and/or persons with outstanding arrest warrants to jail facilities. Processes prisoners into jail. Prepares incident reports. Secures/investigates crime scenes. May assist in the collection, preservation and handling of physical evidence and property. Interviews/interrogates victims, suspect(s) and witnesses. Gathers evidence and verifies information pertinent to the investigation and resolution of a variety of criminal incidents.
As required, preserves/documents crime scene using a variety of technical equipment, techniques and procedures. Processes the scene for fingerprints. Sketches the crime scene. Prepares reports, complaints and affidavits, obtains and executes search and arrest warrants, and other related documents. Testifies in court. Presents evidence/sworn testimony regarding the investigative process and facts of the case.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, criminal and traffic codes, search and seizure laws, town ordinances, and department policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of traffic accident investigation techniques and procedures.
• Knowledge of the geography and streets of the city.
• Knowledge of the court system and judicial procedures.
• Skill in the use of a computer.
• Skill in operating police vehicles, firearms, and emergency equipment.
• Skill in operating radios and communications equipment.
• Skill in operating radar equipment.
• Skill in restraining persons without causing physical harm.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Must obtain within one (1) year of employment and must maintain State of Wyoming Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification.
• May be required to meet physical conditioning standards required by assignment. May be required to lift, drag and/or carry heavy, bulky supplies, materials and/or other items weighing up to 200 pounds.
• May be exposed to potential physical harm, dangerous machinery, infectious diseases, hazardous chemicals, extreme weather conditions and potentially high stress levels.
• May be required to work a rotating shift schedule.
Qualified applicants selected for testing must successfully complete each of the following progressive steps in order to move forward in the recruitment process:
• Physical Fitness Test
• Written Examination
• Oral Board
• Polygraph Examination
• Comprehensive Background Investigation
• Psychological Evaluation
• Medical Evaluation
• Drug Screen
CAREER GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES
• K-9 Officer
• Bicycle Patrol
• DARE Officer
• Hostage Negotiator
• Crisis Negotiator
• Computer Investigator
• Arson Investigator
• Accident Investigator
• Firearm Instructor
• EVO Instructor
• Arrest and Control Instructor
• Laser/Radar Instructor
• CPR/First Aid Instructor
• School Resource Officer
• Narcotics Enforcement Team
• Polygraph Examiner
• Victim Services Program
• Crime Stoppers
• Fitness Room
• Take Home Vehicles
• Mobile Data Terminals in Vehicles
• AWD Vehicles
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
• Hiring at $25.70/Hour
• Medical insurance and prescription drug coverage
• Dental insurance
• Vision insurance
• Employee Assistance Program
• Employee Wellness Program
• Flexible Benefits Plan
• Term life insurance
• Short-term disability
• Long-term disability
• Deferred Compensation (457)
• Wyoming Retirement System
• ICMA Retirement Corporation
• Vacation accrual per year
• 10 holidays per year
• 1 personal day per year
• Accrual of sick leave at 12 days per year
• Other ancillary benefits are available
• The City of Gillette participates in the Veteran’s Education & Training Program.
HOW TO APPLY
• Qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply immediately.
• To apply for this position, please complete a City of Gillette Police Department Employment Application and Personal History Statement.
• Please mail, fax, email or drop off your completed application to the City Human Resources department.
CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES
City of Gillette
201 East 5th Street
Gillette, Wyoming 82716
- Age: Must be at least 21 years of age
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience: No previous law enforcement required