Police Officer I (Testing & Employment Opportunities)
City of Harrisonburg - Harrisonburg, Virginia
Sep 17, 2023
- Application Deadline:
- Oct 4, 2023
- Entry Level:
- $$22.65 hourly
The City of Harrisonburg is currently accepting applications for non-certified individuals interested in joining HPD, which offers a rewarding career plus an excellent benefits package, including enhanced hazardous duty through the Virginia Retirement System (VRS).
The Police Officer I position has a preferred hiring rate of $22.65 per hour (equivalent to $47,112 annually). An exact salary will be dependent upon the selected candidate's qualifications and experience.
The City of Harrisonburg will be offering Police Officer testing on *Saturday, October 7, 2023 at the Harrisonburg Police Department. *__At this time, we do not have subsequent testing dates planned. In light of this, the City encourages interested applicants to attend this testing date.
Veterans and minorities are encouraged to register and apply.
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS with Enhanced Hazardous Duty Benefits, & MissionSquare), life insurance, paid leave, and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Registration is required for testing and can be completed online by selecting "apply" in the upper right corner of this posting on the City's website. All registration applications must be received through the City of Harrisonburg Human Resources Department's online application system no later than 5:00pm EST on Wednesday, October 4, 2023. The online application system will automatically end registration at the indicated deadline, even if applicants are in the middle of the registration process. Late registrations will not be accepted.
- After your registration has been received and reviewed by Human Resources and the HPD Professional Standards Unit, you will receive an email requesting your attendance at the testing date if you meet the minimum qualifications. Please monitor the email address used to apply as that will be the email address your invitation is sent.
- Age: 21 years of age by completion of academy
- Education: High School Diploma or GED. College Degree or Military Experience, preferred.
- Experience: None Required for Police Officer I Level
Minimum Requirements for Police Officer I:
- High School Diploma or GED. College Degree or Military Experience, preferred.
- 21 years of age by completion of basic law enforcement academy.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien with an application for Naturalization filed and pending with Immigration Services, if DCJS-approved.
- Valid driver's license with acceptable record per City policy.
- Able to work 12-hour shift (6am - 6pm or 6pm - 6am).
- Ability to perform the physical requirements for this position.
- Must live or be willing to move within a one (1) hour drive of Harrisonburg, VA.