Parking Enforcement Officer
Non-Sworn Law Enforcement Personnel
City of Kirkland - Kirkland, Washington
Oct 5, 2022
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2022
- Entry Level:
- $$50,743.23 - $63,352.57 annual
Performs parking enforcement in accordance with the laws in designated area of the City. Interact with general public and business district to ensure parking compliance and enhance public relations.
*Principal Accountabilities *
- Enforces parking laws within the City of Kirkland.
- Liaison between the Department and downtown business and community members concerning parking issues and concerns.
- Provides support by record filing, fingerprinting and arrestee photos
*Essential Responsibilities *
- Enforces overtime parking in two (2) hour, (4) four hour and thirty (30) minute zones.
- Enforces parking laws in loading zones, crosswalks, safety zones, bus zones, disabled, alleyways, permit parking only zones and other applicable areas.
- Enforcement and collection of parking meters and all day pay boxes.
- Testifies in court relative to the issuance of parking citations when required.
- Prepares daily parking enforcement affidavit of citations written for the court.
- Performs resident's fingerprinting, records and files arrestee photographs.
*Additional Responsibilities *
- Computer entry of parking citations.
- Observes and reports missing signs and areas where signing or markings are inadequate.
- May be required to perform filing of records during lulls in the work routine.
- Enters business license information into Records Management system.
- Monitors parking enforcement vehicle operation and requests/recommends maintenance or repair.
- Assists community members by providing directions.
- Acts as liaison between City merchants and City departments regarding enforcement actions and parking related complaints affecting their businesses.
- Maintains supplies and equipment for position.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to operate a motorized parking enforcement vehicle.
- Must be able to print legibly.
- Good public relations skills, such as, ability to clearly communicate in spoken English, ability to deal with hostility calmly, creating a positive public image.
- Must be able to read and understand the City and State parking related ordinances.
*Minimum Qualifications *
- High School graduate or equivalency.
- Physically able to walk approximately 2 miles to cover assigned area.
- Must have a valid Washington Drivers License and ability to remain insurable under the City's insurance plan.
- Ability to operate hand held computer.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Must be able to obtain a police security clearance including polygraph, psychological and background prior to hire.
*Working Conditions *
- Must be willing to perform duties in inclement weather.
- May drive or walk assigned enforcement area.
- Will, on occasion, work inside at a desk for filing or computer entry work.
- Operates a three wheeled vehicle on City streets.
- Required to wear uniform in performance of duties.
*Selection Process * Position requires a resume and cover letter (letter of interest). Please note how you meet minimum qualifications within the cover letter. Applicants who are selected for next steps in the hiring process will be invited by phone or email. Job open until filled with first review of applicants by 15 day of initial posting.
Vaccination requirement Effective November 8, 2021, all new hires to the City will be required as a condition of employment to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to start date.
- Age: 18 Years Old
- Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Experience: Please read job summary for more information.