City of Leander (TX) - Leander, Texas
Mar 16, 2023
- Application Deadline:
- Apr 14, 2023
- Entry Level:
- $$70,880.05 annual
- Top Pay:
- $$72,264.33 annual
Under general supervision, investigates assigned cases to assist in the protection of the city’s residents and property; enforcement of laws and ordinances and follows department’s policies and procedures applicable to span of control while preserving, protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States of America.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- After a field training period, conduct criminal investigations, interview and interrogate suspects, investigate crimes, reach appropriate conclusions and have ability to articulate these facts and circumstances into a professional narrative.
- Collect, review, and prepare evidence from crime scenes and death investigations, while maintaining proper chain of custody, for trial. This also includes video and audio recordings from crime scenes, photographing the scenes, and proper storage of this media.
- As needed for the investigations, issue citations and make custody arrests.
- Keep records of activities and make timely reports concerning all findings of investigations.
- Share information and work with other law enforcement agencies as directed and appropriate. Prepare cases and present them to grand juries, district courts and county courts for review. Coordinate prosecution with district and county attorneys as required and testify in court when required.
- When not on duty, maintain a rotating on-call status with other detectives for response as needed.
- Work overflow cases and priority cases based on immediate need and priority of the case to include sexual assault cases, Child Protective Services cases, death investigation cases and violent and immediate threat cases.
- Follow-up and communicate with victims on case status, as appropriate.
- Assist other specialized units when needed.
- May work in special programs as assigned. These assignments may include CALEA proofs, recruiting, background investigations, officer field training, and attending civic and related functions in a public relations role.
- May be assigned to work patrol duty and be capable to meet all physical and weapon qualification requirements if assigned to this function.
- Municipal police administration and organization
- Departmental rules and regulations, all appropriate criminal laws, including city ordinances and appropriate administrative laws. Observes safety and security procedures. Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines.
- The use and care of specialized equipment. Including police car, police radio, handgun and other weapons as required, handcuffs, first aid equipment, and any other equipment as required.
- Mandates and covenants required by department’s participation in the various law enforcement information and resource systems.
- Possessing excellent customer service skills and phone etiquette.
- Skill and ability in required job skills and knowledge with accuracy and thoroughness. Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills. Keeps abreast of current developments. Requires minimal supervision.
- Displays willingness to make professional decisions. Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Supports and explains reasoning for decisions. Includes appropriate people in decision making process. Makes timely decisions.
- Normal speech, normal or corrected vision, and normal or corrected hearing.
- Understand and execute oral and written instructions and ask questions when instructions are unclear.
- Establish and maintain professional working relationships, balancing team and individual responsibilities. Delegate work assignments.
- Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: 3 years as an investigator with at least 2 years of experience in a patrol capacity
Required Certificate and Licenses:
- Valid Texas Class C driver’s license or the ability to obtain within 90 days of hire date.
- Currently a licensed peace officer with TCOLE license at an intermediate certificate level.
- If from out of state, already have obtained a TCOLE license, and be eligible for intermediate certificate upon completion of required courses.