North Las Vegas Police Department -- Lateral Police Officer -- Up to $40,000 in HIRING BONUSES!
North Las Vegas Police Department - N Las Vegas, Nevada
Apr 18, 2023
- Application Deadline:
- Aug 1, 2023
- Entry Level:
- $$58,281-$98,259 annual
- Lateral Transfer:
- $$61,000-$98,259 annual
We are offering up to ++$40,000 in HIRING BONUSES!++
These include bonuses for Lateral Officers, Veterans, a Relocation Bonus, and an Employee Referral Bonus*.
(*All subject to requirements and at the discretion of the hiring agency.)
The City of North Las Vegas is excited to announce a continuous (ongoing) recruitment for the position of Lateral Police Officer! Candidates will be notified of their status at various times throughout the recruitment process. Please thoroughly review the information and selection process outlined on this announcement. This posting will close August 1, 2023, or earlier depending on operational needs.
Submit a complete application - For your application to be considered, you MUST fully complete an online application, and answer ALL questions. Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this announcement and click “SUBMIT” at the end of your application.
- Shift work required - This position supports an operation that is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You must be able to work any shift (days, swings, or graveyard), and any day of the week, to including weekends, holidays, and overtime. Currently, the schedule consists of 10-hour shifts and are divided into two squads with days off being Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, or Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Must successfully complete training program - Laterals will not have to complete a full academy, but are required to complete an advanced academy. Advanced academy consists of learning the departments policy and procedure, defensive tactics, firearms training, preparation for the POST Certification (if not an in-state lateral), along with other training. Field training is broken down into four phases throughout 18 weeks. http://post.nv.gov/Training/Reciprocity/ *Failure to successfully complete the eighteen (18) month probationary requirements will result in immediate termination.
- Pay considerations - The starting hourly pay for this position is $28.02 (step 1). An increase in starting pay may be evaluated by years of service and approved by the Chief. Existing employees will receive increases as outlined by their bargaining agreement.
- *_Background and Disqualifiers *_– Applicants who proceed in the selection process will be required to complete an extensive police background check. Among other items, the following are disqualifying behaviors –
- Any felony conviction.
- Any domestic violence conviction.
- Gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Although there have been recent changes to laws regarding the legal possession and consumption of marijuana, the City of North Las Vegas will continue to adhere to its professional standards and guidelines as it relates to recent and continuous use of the drug.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma/GED or equvalent
- Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of current, continuous uninterrupted service with a law enforcement agency in the performance of duties directly related to Category I Nevada POST standards at the time of application.
++THE ROLE++ This LATERAL POLICE OFFICER position is designed for officers that are CURRENTLY employed with another agency AND have a Category I Nevada POST Certificate OR are currently employed as a Police Officer in one of the states listed on the Nevada P.O.S.T. website. To view these states, please visit: https://post.nv.gov/Training/Reciprocity/
A copy of the applicant’s current and valid Peace Officer Certification certificate *MUST *++be scanned and attached to the on-line application.++
Under direct supervision of chain of command, this position is responsible for the performance of professional police work in preserving and protecting public peace and safety, protecting life and preventing crime through proper enforcement of the law.
++Education and Experience:++
- Minimum of two (2) years of current, continuous uninterrupted service with a law enforcement agency in the performance of duties directly related to Category I Nevada POST standards at time of application.
- Applicant shall possess a valid Category I (Police Officer) Nevada Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate or valid equivalent Peace Officer Certificate from one of the above listed states. A copy of the applicant’s current and valid Nevada POST Category I certificate or equivalent MUST be attached to the online application
- U.S. citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of hire.
- Character above reproach pursuant to NRS 289.555 and NAC289.110.
- No person will be eligible for employment as a Police Officer who has been convicted of any crime for which the applicant is required to register and/or misdemeanor crime of domestic violence including use/attempted use of physical force.
- All personnel must reside in the greater Las Vegas Metropolitan area, such as North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, or the City of Las Vegas, unless authorized by the Chief of Police.
- Valid Nevada Class C driver’s license at time of hire with satisfactory driving record.
- Valid Nevada Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Category I (Police Officer) certification.
++*Out of state applicant’s additional requirements: *++
- MUST pass a Nevada POST approved Physical Agility Test after hire.
- MUST pass an 80 hour on-line Reciprocity certification training program after hire.
- MUST pass Nevada POST written state certification examination after hire.
- Peace Officer Certification MUST be current and no prior suspensions or revocations.
- Background Investigation Includes an extensive background check, polygraph/CVSA examination, medical/drug screen exam. All top scoring candidates must pass the Background Investigation in order to move forward in the process.
- ** Physical Fitness Test**
- Conditional Offer Letters
- Psychological and Medical Evaluations
- Official Offers
++BACKGROUND PROCESS & PRE EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS++
Candidates for this position are subject to pre-employment screenings and employment is contingent upon these results. Pre-employment screenings may include but are not limited to: local, state, and federal criminal history checks, and may require submission of fingerprints; drug screen; and physical examinations to include a psychological evaluation.
++SALARY AND BENEFITS++
All selected candidates will start at Step 1 with an hourly rate of $28.02, an increase in starting pay may be evaluated by years of service and approved by the Chief. The City of North Las Vegas offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Comprehensive group health insurance plan
- Disability insurance
- Dental, vision, and life insurance options
- Vacation, Sick leave, and excellent retirement benefits
- Bilingual pay (testing required)
- Educational Incentive (Annually)
- Associates Degree: $375
- Bachelor’s Degree: $750
- Master’s Degree: $900