New Haven - Certified/Lateral Police Officer 2021 Recruitment
New Haven Police Department - New Haven, Connecticut
Feb 23, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Mar 12, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $N.A. annual
** Position is subject to a NON-REFUNDABLE Application Fee. There will be a charge of $50 for New Haven residents. There will be a charge of $100 for non-resident applicants.1
1) Go to www.policeapp.com/newhaven
2) Download and read the New Haven Lateral Police Officer Applicant Handbook and follow all instructions for completing and submitting your application. PLEASE READ THE HANDBOOK FIRST BEFORE APPLYING!!!! Applicants are responsible for reading all instructions on how to apply as well as other important information on the application and testing process contained in the handbook.
3) Click Apply Now button at www.policeapp.com/newhaven and complete the application. Submit your ON-LINE application and application fee (or fee waiver) ++no later than++ extended deadline date of March 12, 2021 by 11:59 pm.
If you experience any technical difficulty applying, please contact 855-720-2777.
1 REGARDING THE APPLICATION FEE, YOU CAN ONLY PICK ++ONE++ OPTION - YOU ++CANNOT++ SELECT FEE WAIVER ++AND++ PAY OPTION. YOU MUST PAY THE APPLICATION FEE, OR DETERMINE IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO SELECT THE FEE WAIVER. ALL OF THIS IS EXPLAINED IN THE APPLICANT HANDBOOK, WHICH IS WHY YOU MUST READ THE HANDBOOK ++BEFORE++ APPLYING.
The New Haven Police Department is now hiring for:
CT P.O.S.T. CERTIFIED POLICE OFFICERS
FY 2020-21, 2021-22 Salary Grade A Officer: $75,961.00, $78,050.00
- Must be certified as a Police Officer/Trooper in the State of Connecticut
- Have NOT had more than two (2) years separation from a certified law enforcement unit
- Left in good standing from their previous law enforcement agency
- Not be the subject of any pending administrative/IA or criminal investigations
- Have no history of making false, untruthful or inaccurate statements or reports, which could be considered as Giglio or Brady violations
- Must hold a CHIP Card or register to obtain a CHIP Card
Under the direction and supervision of a police sergeant, a New Haven Police Officer protects the lives and property of citizens. Provides services to the public and maintains the peace, protects the rights of persons and property, and enforces all laws and ordinances coming under the jurisdiction of the Police Department. Under normal conditions, interacts with the public in a positive manner in accordance with a strong community policing philosophy.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS - Lateral Entry Applicants (See Official Posting that follows):
(1) Must hold a valid State of Connecticut POST (Police Officer) certification, which must be current at time of appointment, and maintain certification during course of employment.
(2) Must have been employed and certified as a police officer in the State of Connecticut, AND NOT have had more than 2 years of separation from a law enforcement unit.
(3) Must be able to meet and maintain throughout the course of employment established physical, medical and psychological requirements.
(4) Candidate must be willing to enter into a partnership with the Department to undertake a course of study in an approved field at an institute of higher learning, leading to an Associates’ Degree within five (5) years after completing his or her probationary period.
(5) Possess and maintain a valid Connecticut driver’s license.
ALL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE VERIFIED. A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION WILL BE CONDUCTED. FALSIFICATION OF ANY INFORMATION WILL AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFY YOU FROM FURTHER PARTICIPATION IN THE RECRUITMENT AND TESTING PROCESS.
Open to all applicants who meet the minimum requirements. The civil service examination process will consist of a written test. Post-offer process includes other examinations such as a physical ability test (if you don’t already have a CHIP Card), a background investigation, a polygraph examination, a psychological examination, an interview with the Chief of Police, a physical exam, a drug test, and a working test/probationary period of one year. All parts of the testing and selection process are designed to determine the ability of applicants to learn and perform the duties of a Police Officer in a multi-culturally diverse environment.
SPECIALIZED UNITS AND DIVISIONS:
The New Haven Police Department provides great opportunities for career development and advancement through a variety of training, specialized assignments, and regular promotional exams.
Divisions & Specialized Units:
- Emergency Services Unit consisting of: SWAT/Hazardous Device/Hostage Negotiator/Dive Team
- Honor Guard
- School Resource Officer
- Canine Unit
- Accident Reconstruction Unit
- Traffic Unit
- Narcotics Unit
- Federal Task Forces
- Criminal Intelligence Unit
- Homicide Unit
- Sexual Assault/Family Violence Unit
- Robbery/Burglary Unit
- Bureau of Identification (Forensic Unit)
- Comprehensive Medical and Dental Insurance
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Annual sick leave accrual
- 25-year Pension Plan
- Sick leave buy back option
- Optional 457 Deferred Comp Plan
- Education Incentive
- 5/2 5/3 Grade A work rotation
- Employee Assistance Program / Peer Support / Officer Wellness Program
- Military Incentives
OFFICIAL JOB POSTING INFORMATION:
CITY OF NEW HAVEN DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
200 ORANGE STREET, NEW HAVEN, CT 06510
POSTED: *February 22, 2021
REMOVAL DATE: March 12, 2021
POSITION: LATERAL POLICE OFFICER (M-0808) (TESTED)
DEPARTMENT: POLICE SERVICE
SALARY: $ Up to 5 year police experience $58,646 ANNUALIZED
$ More than 5 year police experience $75,961 ANNUALIZED
HOURS: 40 HOURS PER WEEK
FUNDING: GENERAL FUNDS
++MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY:++
Must hold a valid State of Connecticut POST (Police Officer) certification, which must be current at time of appointment, and maintain certification during course of employment.
Must have been employed and certified as a police officer in the State of Connecticut, AND NOT have had more than 2 years of separation from a law enforcement unit.
Must be able to meet and maintain throughout the course of employment established physical, medical and psychological requirements.
Candidate must be willing to enter into a partnership with the Department to undertake a course of study in an approved field at an institute of higher learning, leading to an Associates’ Degree within five (5) years after completing his or her probationary period.
Minimum age requirement is 21 years of age at the time of application.
Possess and maintain a valid Connecticut driver's license.
Position is subject to background/credit check, polygraph, psychological, medical and drug test upon conditional offer of employment__.
This position is included in a collective bargaining agreement with Elm City Local of the CT Alliance of City Police (formerly Local 530, Council 15, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, AFL-CIO). As a condition of continued employment, a person appointed to an Elm City Local bargaining unit position will be required to obtain union membership at the completion of 90 working days.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D
Apply through PoliceApp: http://bit.ly/3aKz6YA
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma /GED
- Experience: Certified