Lansing Police Department - Lansing, Michigan
Sep 28, 2022
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2023
- Entry Level:
- $$50,784 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $$50,784 annual
- Lateral Transfer:
- $Up to $63,323 annual
- Top Pay:
- $$73,025 annual
The Police Officer Certified/Certifiable position protects and serves the citizens and communities of the City of Lansing. Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of duties involving the enforcement of laws and the prevention of crimes; controls traffic flow and enforces state and local traffic regulations; issues citations; participates in and conducts a variety of criminal investigations; makes arrests; provides support and assistance to special crime prevention and law enforcement programs; and performs a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of law enforcement services and activities.
If you would like to speak with a member of the Lansing Police Department Recruiting Team and/or set up a ride-along, please go to the website: ++https://edocs.lansingmi.gov/Forms/ContactRecruiter++ Fill out the form and a member of our recruiting team will contact you and assist in answering questions about the police department.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma/GED
- ++AND++ an Associate Degree (preferred) ++OR++ completion of 24 semester credit (or term equivalency) hours of college level coursework, ++OR++ 2 years of experience at a Law Enforcement Agency (certified officer or corrections work) ++OR++ Current Military Commitment in Good Standing ++OR++ Completion of Commitment to the military in Good Standing. Some Military Course Credits may be used for equivalency.
- Candidates with prior law enforcement experience and a lapse in certification must provide proof of re-certification prior to the City of Lansing final job offer.
- Out of State certified applicants must be able to pass MCOLES Recognition of Prior Training and Experience (RPTE) program or testing prior to City of Lansing final job offer
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license
IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS THE FOLLOWING:
- Must be available to work 12 hour shifts to include nights, weekends, holidays and various overtime assignments
- Possess good moral character as determined by a favorable, comprehensive, and extensive background investigation covering school and employment records, home environment, and personal traits and integrity
- Honorably discharged USA Armed Forces Veteran (copy of DD-214 must be included in application packet), if apply
- Must be a US Citizen at time of job offer
- Possess a valid Michigan Driver's License at time of employment with a satisfactory driving record
- No pending or past felony convictions
- Ability to pass a criminal history record check
- Meet physical standards as determined by the City's Medical Doctor
*_KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES *_Knowledge of modern principles, practices and procedures relative to police work.
Skill in driving vehicles and using firearms in accordance with established guidelines, writing and typing reports and maintaining records and files, as well as skills in making arrests.
Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions, to use a personal computer with basic keyboarding skills, to remember names, faces and details of incidents, to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, governmental officials and the general public, and to properly retain and dispense confidential information.
*_PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS *_This position requires the individual through assistance or on their own to perform the following actions: standing, walking, running, climbing, jumping, crawling, dragging heavy objects/persons, lifting, pulling, pushing, listening, speaking, twisting, turning, bending, crouching, hearing no lower than 35 dB HL in each ear, color vision, and visual acuity without correction must be at least 20/100 in each eye with a binocular vision of 20/100, correctable to at least 20/20 in each eye with lenses.
The City of Lansing is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Certified Veteran Friendly Employer.
The City of Lansing provides reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, or during employment, notify the Department of Human Resources at (517) 483-4004. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Age: See above
- Education: See above
- Experience: See above