Yuma Police Department - Yuma, Colorado
Apr 7, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- May 31, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $45,000 annual
- Top Pay:
- $47,500 annual
A Police Officer is responsible for upholding and enforcing City ordinances and applicable state law, to protect members of the public and their properties, and prevent crime and improve citizens’ quality of life. The goal is to achieve community safety and crime reduction.
Examples of Duties:
· Deter crimes and assure community through high-visibility policing
· Patrol and monitor activities to protect people/property, including foot and vehicle patrols
· Investigate crimes, secure crime scenes and apprehend individual suspected of committing a violation
· Observe and respond to various situations or emergencies
· Attends and successfully completes all required training including roll call, in-service, and firearms training and other classes and seminars
· Act in compliance with all rules, guidelines and protocols/policies & procedures
· Gather evidence and ensure successful prosecutions with working with the District Attorney and Municipal Prosecutor
· Produce internal and case reports and provide feedback on case status
· Foster good public relationships and liaise with community groups or individuals
· Coordinate operations with other emergency services
· Attend and provide testimony and evidence in court
· Enforce municipal ordinances, including but not limited to, nuisances and animal regulations, and applicable state law
· Any other duties assigned by a supervisor or the Chief.
· Must reside within city limits within 1 month of hire or completion of training, whichever is later.
· High School diploma or G.E.D
· Must meet requirements for and achieve Peace Officer Certification as described in Colorado Law and P.O.S.T. regulations.
· Possession of a valid Colorado driver's license required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Effect arrests
· Subdue resisting individuals
· Run a short distance to persons requiring emergency assistance or apprehension
· Lift, carry, move, and/or drag equipment and persons, occasionally more than 100 lbs.
· Force entry into buildings
· Climb flights of stairs, ladders, fences, and move over obstacles
· Walk, stand, stoop, crouch, crawl or sit for long periods of time (including driving)
· Reach, grasp, push, pull, perform repetitive motions, or lay for extended periods of time.
· Perform lifesaving procedures
· Maintain proficiency with assigned weapon systems
· Confront armed suspects
· Drive motor vehicles under emergency and non-emergency conditions
· Communicate clearly with supervisors, subordinates, and the public
· Constantly think quickly and use sound judgment
· Maintain mental alertness under adverse and life-threatening situations
· Control personal feelings and emotions
· Maintains proficiency with firearms, arrest control tactics and other tools and techniques as assigned
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Exposure to all and extreme weather conditions;
· Exposure to varying light conditions: all and extreme lighting conditions, daylight and night light, with and without artificial light available, indoors and outdoors; and
· Exposure to personal danger, including but not limited to: armed and/or dangerous persons/animals; persons and/or articles having contagious/communicable diseases; hazards associated with emergency driving, vehicular surveillance, traffic control and working in and around traffic; hazards associated with natural and man- made disasters, the use and operation of electrical or microwave powered equipment.
· The employee must be willing to work flexible/rotating schedules, holidays and weekends
This position is open until filled.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Experience: None