Police Officer (Testing & Employment Opportunities) *$6,000 HIRING INCENTIVE AVAILABLE TO NEW OFFICERS*
City of Harrisonburg - Harrisonburg, Virginia
Jan 14, 2022
- Application Deadline:
- May 3, 2022
- Entry Level:
- $19.37 hourly
$6,000 HIRING INCENTIVE AVAILABLE TO NEW OFFICERS*
City of Harrisonburg Police Officer Testing & Employment Opportunities
The Harrisonburg Police Department has combined the testing registration and employment opportunities into one advertisement. Candidates interested in becoming a Police Officer with the HPD must apply to this posting, even if they are currently a certified officer. Candidates will not be considered for vacant Police Officer opportunities if they do not apply to this posting.
++Police Officer Employment Opportunities++
The City of Harrisonburg is currently accepting applications for individuals interested in joining HPD, which offers a rewarding career plus an excellent benefits package, including enhanced hazardous duty through the Virginia Retirement System (VRS).
Police Officer I Candidates: Preferred hiring range of $19.37 - $22.28 per hour (equivalent to $40,289 - $46,342 annually).
Police Officer II Candidates: Preferred hiring range of $20.53 - $23.61 per hour (equivalent to $42,702 - $49,108 annually). An exact salary will be dependent upon the selected candidate's qualifications and experience.
*A breakdown of the hiring incentive is available in the job ad on the City's website.
To be considered for Police Officer I and II positions, you must meet the minimum requirements of the position (as stated below). Applicants who cannot meet the qualifications listed below for the Police Officer II level may be considered for the Police Officer I level at an annual rate commensurate with applicant qualifications.
++Police Officer Testing++
The City of Harrisonburg will be offering Police Officer testing on Saturday, March 5, 2022 and Saturday, May 7, 2022 at the Harrisonburg Police Department.
Candidates will be invited to the March 5, 2022 testing if the complete application is received by March 1, 2022 at 5:00pm. Candidates who submit a complete application after March 1, 2022 but prior to May 3, 2022 at 5:00pm will be invited to the May 7, 2022 testing.
- Age: 21 years of age by completion of academy.
- Education: High School Diploma or GED. College Degree or Military Experience, preferred.
- Experience: None Required for Police Officer I Level
Minimum Requirements for Police Officer I:
- High School Diploma or GED. College Degree or Military Experience, preferred.
- 21 years of age by completion of basic law enforcement academy.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien with an application for Naturalization filed and pending with Immigration Services, if DCJS-approved.
- Valid driver's license with acceptable record per City policy.
- Able to work 12-hour shift (6am - 6pm, 6pm - 6am, or 3pm - 3am).
- ++Ability to perform the physical requirements for this position.++
- Must live or be willing to move within a one (1) hour drive of Harrisonburg, VA.
Minimum Requirements for Police Officer II:
- All minimum requirements stated above for the Police Officer I position.
- Currently certified as a Law Enforcement Officer through the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS), the Federal Government or another state.
- Registration is required for testing and can be completed online by selecting "apply" in the upper right corner of this posting on the City's website (https://www.harrisonburgva.gov/employment). All registration applications must be received through the City of Harrisonburg Human Resources Department's online application system no later than 5:00pm EST on Tuesday, May 3, 2022. The online application system will automatically end registration at the indicated deadline, even if applicants are in the middle of the registration process. Late registrations will not be accepted.
- After your registration has been received and reviewed by Human Resources and the HPD Professional Standards Division, you will receive an email requesting your attendance at the next applicable testing date if you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applicants currently certified as a Law Enforcement Officer through the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS), the Federal Government or another state are exempt from the written test. An expedited recruitment timeline may be implemented for Certified Officers due to the written test exemption. Certified Officers will receive further communication from Sgt. Chris Watson regarding the next steps of the process after submitting the online registration.
If you have questions after reviewing this information, please contact the Human Resources department at 540.432.8920 or ++firstname.lastname@example.org++. Applicants who require reasonable accommodations during the application or testing process should contact Human Resources. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to participate in the recruitment process.
Veterans and minorities are encouraged to register and apply.
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS with Enhanced Hazardous Duty Benefits, & MissionSquare), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.