Lateral Police Officer
Sworn US Law Enforcement
Salt Lake City Police Department (DEMO) - Salt Lake City, Utah
Apr 30, 2021
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $21.01 hourly
- Academy Graduate:
- $21.01 hourly
- Top Pay:
- $35.10 hourly
We are looking for Lateral Police Officers to join our Salt Lake City Police Department team!
We may hire for this position as early as July 2021. This position is subject to close at any time without notice. We recommend applying right away to ensure you do not miss an unexpected application deadline to be considered for the next lateral academy.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED - Applicants must have a current Utah Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate as a Law Enforcement Officer and at least one full year of experience working in a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) capacity for an agency whose primary responsibility is responding to calls for service. Out-of-state applicants must successfully pass the Utah POST Waiver Exam.
Application Process: To apply for this position, interested candidates must complete and submit an online application at https://www.slc.gov/hr/home/job-center/ and attach their Utah Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate or equivalent training certificate to their application. Out-of-state candidates must coordinate directly with Utah Peace Officer Standards and Training at 801-256-2300 to complete the Utah Waiver Process. Out-of-state candidates are encouraged to contact Candace Roberts, HR Recruiter at (801) 535-6623 or by email at Candace.Roberts@slcgov.com to consolidate their trips to Utah.
Offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a criminal background check in accordance with City policy and applicable law. Criminal offenses will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and do not automatically disqualify a candidate from City employment.
What specialty assignments are available within SLCPD?
Police Officers have an opportunity to work several different specialized assignments during their career. Below are examples of some of the specialty areas available in the department.
- Bomb Squad
- SWAT Team
- Detective Division
- Narcotics Task Force
- Homicide Unit
- Gang Unit
- Bike Patrol
- Intelligence Division
- Training Unit
Learn more about the department here: slcpd.com
What benefits do we offer?
- Take home vehicles
- All equipment provided
- Competitive salary
- Lateral Entry Program - Year-for-year credit up to 12 years
- Career path incentive pay
- Merit increases
- Longevity pay
- Overtime for special events
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Retirement/Pension Plans
- Competitive Benefits
- Wellness Program
- Medical Insurance + HSA or Flex Account
- Dental Insurance
- Parental Leave
- Paid time off
- Tuition Reimbursement up to 4k dollars a year
- Dedicated Wellness Clinic for employees and their families
- Discounted Auto/Home/and Pet Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Training and Development - Over 2,000 in-person/virtual courses offered
What will the lateral recruitment process consist of?
- Written Communication Exercise/Exam (50%)
- Oral Board Interview (50%)
- Background Investigation
- Truth Verification Exam (EyeDetect/CVSA)
- Psychological Exam and Evaluation
- Executive Interview with the Chief
- Medical Exam and Drug Screen
Still have questions? Call Candace Roberts, HR Recruiter at (801) 535-6623 or email her at Candace.Roberts@slcgov.com.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience: 1 full year working as a Law Enforcement Officer whose primary responsibility is responding to calls for service