Police Officer - Entry & Lateral positions open; multiple testing sites
Seattle Police Department - Seattle, Washington
Jan 1, 2019
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $28.99 hourly
- Academy Graduate:
- $39.00 hourly
- Lateral Transfer:
- $43.73 hourly
The Seattle Police Department is seeking individuals committed to understanding and protecting the ethical, cultural and ethnic values of the City of Seattle and its residents as Police Officers. As first responders, Police Officers are vital to public safety and under regular supervision, perform basic police services in accordance with the mission, goals and objectives of the City of Seattle Police Department and in compliance with governing federal, state, and local laws. Entry Level Police Officer describes a candidate with no prior law enforcement experience and those who have completed a self-sponsored academy and have not worked as a commissioned officer/deputy for a law enforcement agency. Exceptional Entry Police Officer describes a candidate who has successfully completed a basic law enforcement academy and FTO, but who does not have the required 24 months of full-time service as a law enforcement officer in the last 36 months in order to qualify as a lateral applicant. Exceptional Entry Police Officer candidates must test with the entry-level candidates, and are not eligible to take the Lateral entry exam. Exceptional Entry candidates should bring their completed PHI packet to the written exam to turn in at that time.
- Provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations. Explains laws and police procedures to residents.
- Operates a patrol car. Patrols city streets, areas and businesses to deter criminal activity and promote public safety.
- Investigates conditions hazardous to life or property; conducts initial investigations of crime and crime scenes; may assist detectives in criminal investigation work. Conducts search and seizure activities as appropriate. Collects and preserves crime scene and evidence.
- Arrests and/or detains suspected violators of the law. Review facts of incidents to determine if criminal act or statute violations were involved.
- Records facts to prepare reports that document incidents and activities.
- Render aid to accident victims and other persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
- Transports individuals in custody.
- Presents evidence and testimony in judicial settings.
The City of Seattle provides police service 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Shift work, including nights, weekends, and holidays, is required
Entry-Level Test Dates:
- January 11th, 2020 (this application open now)
◾ October 17th, 2020
Lateral Test Dates:
- February 21st, 2020 (opens on Nov 21st)
◾ May 15th - 17th, 2020
◾ September 11th - 13th, 2020
◾ November 13th-15th, 2020
The on-line application to apply will open one week after the current exam date has passed.
Seattle Public Safety Civil Service Commission rules limit applicants to testing once every six months.
- Age: Be at least twenty and half (20.5) years of age.
- Education: High school diploma or GED
- Experience: test experience
Hold United States citizenship, OR have legal permanent residency in the U.S. Individuals may not have been discharged from military service under dishonorable conditions. Applicants must meet all eligibility standards by the exam date.