DEPUTY SHERIFF (CERTIFIED)
Sworn US Law Enforcement
Brevard County Sheriff's Office - Titusville, Florida
Mar 1, 2022
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2022
- Entry Level:
- $$46,134.40 - $51,958.40 (Based on Law Enforcement experience) annual
This class performs general law enforcement work of average difficulty and responsibility in the preservation and protection of life and property, the prevention of crime, the maintenance of good public order, the enforcement of civil and criminal law. This class works under general supervision and requires considerable judgment, initiative and skill in a variety of situations.
Below are examples and are intended only as illustration of the various types of work performed in positions allocated to this class. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position.
• Promotes public safety in patrol area consistent with agency policies by conducting routine active patrolling of assigned area observing and investigating all suspicious activities and/or persons.
• Monitors dispatch and responds to all dispatch service calls in a timely manner consistent with call classification and in accordance with agency policies.
• Enforces the traffic laws and arrests or issues summons to traffic law violators; reports unsafe road conditions; direct the flow of traffic when required; investigates traffic accidents.
• Performs checks on dwellings, buildings, grounds and property to ensure the prevention of damage by fire, theft and/or vandalism.
• Collects complete and accurate information and prepares clear, concise reports or affidavits.
• Protects the crime scene, gathers and preserves matters of evidence, takes and records testimony; direct and coordinates activities on-site until relieved by a superior officer; assists detectives in specialized investigations.
• Serves warrants, capiases, court orders and other legal processes; locates and arrests persons wanted on warrants or court orders.
• Makes arrests and testifies in the prosecution of law violators; conducts preliminary and/or detailed investigations of the commission of crime or law violations.
• Foresees potential danger and eliminates or controls it; performs law enforcement activity without injuring self or others. Provides backup to other law enforcement personnel.
• Prepares reports and keeps records of all activities in accordance with established agency policy.
• Assesses situations, secures scenes, and restores order including the use of restraints and force where appropriate up to and including deadly force.
• Operates computerized information management systems to retrieve or enter information.
• Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential requirement of the job.
Deputy Sheriff applicants who have at least one year of full-time experience as a Certified Law Enforcement Officer may receive a one-time hiring bonus of up to $3,000.00 minus applicable taxes. Deputy Sheriff applicants who have at least two years of full-time experience as a Certified Law Enforcement Officer may receive a one-time hiring bonus of up to $5,000.00 minus applicable taxes. Applicants with 1 or more years of prior certified full-time Law Enforcement experience may start above the minimum starting pay up to $24.98 an hour based on the applicant's years of full time law enforcement experience. **all increases are subject to final budget approval by the Brevard County Commission.
WORK LOCATION: Must be able to work in any geographically defined region within Brevard County. WORK HOURS: Must be able to work shift work; any days/hours including weekends and holidays as required. PHYSICAL
REQUIREMENTS: The job requires performance of extremely physically demanding work typically involving some combination of reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, running, scaling and climbing. May involve lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling. Must be able to exert up to 150 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to constantly lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects such as in the event of chasing and subduing a law violator resisting physical control. Tasks may also involve standing, sitting or walking for long periods of time.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: The job requires inside and outside work; ability to tolerate inclement weather including heat, humidity, cold, fog and sleet. Possible exposure to hazardous materials and conditions, toxic conditions, fumes, odors, vibration, dust, confined areas, animal/human waste and/or bodily fluids.
SENSORY REQUIREMENTS: In accordance with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement minimum vision must be at least 20/70 either/or both, corrected to 20/30 and hearing must be normal at a distance of fifteen feet.
The Brevard County Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, and sexual orientation, national origin, age (over 40), disability or genetic information in employment practices. We encourage veterans, service members and their spouses and family members to apply for employment with this agency, qualified applicants will receive preference and priority in hiring decisions. ADA requires the Sheriff's Office to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
Agency: Brevard County Sheriff's Office
Address Employment and Recruitment Unit, 700 S. Park Ave. Titusville, Florida, 32780
- Age: At least 20 years of age
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: Certified Law Enforcement Officer
• Must be currently certified by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Police Standards and Training Commission as a Law Enforcement Officer.
• Must be at least 20 years of age
• Requires a valid Florida Class E Drivers License (Must maintain for the duration of employment.)
• Must pass a Physical Abilities Test.
• Requires a FDLE Medical Clearance and successful completion of Psychological and Polygraph Examinations.
• Must be within BCSO drug use policy requirements (see Drug Use tab for copy of requirements)
• Must be within BCSO Body Ornamentation/Tattoo Policy ( For example: no visible tattoos above the neck or below the wrist). For specifics, contact the Employment and Recruitment Unit at 321-264-5308