Spotlight: Safariland products provide head-to-toe solutions for lifesaving products
Safariland is committed in their mission of serving and protecting LEOs — it is built into everything they make
Company name: Safariland
Headquarters: Jacksonville, Fa.
Signature Product: Holsters
1. Where did your company name originate from?
In 1964, Neil Perkins, the founder of Safariland, began building holsters in his garage. He named the new company after the African Safaris he had enjoyed with his father.
2. What was the inspiration behind starting your company?
Perkins knew his way around leather. The first holster he built was a custom order for his father. It was a success, and he was soon making 5,000 holsters a month. As the new company expanded, they branched out into body armor. Their first order came from the LAPD. Safariland has been expanding ever since.
3. What is your signature product and how does it work?
While Safariland is a dominant supplier of armor, communications and more, the company is known for its holsters. Safariland was the first company to receive the level III ISO 9001 standard certificate for retention.
4. Why do you believe your products are essential to the police community?
Safariland saves lives.
5. What makes your company unique?
We provide head-to-toe solutions for lifesaving products.
6. What do your customers like best about you and your products?
They perform when you need them to. While those who have experienced the lifesaving benefits of Safariland products may answer differently, most of our customers appreciate the security provided by our holsters. Retention allows gun owners to do everyday tasks with the assurance that their firearm will stay in place and accessible, under even the most trying circumstances.
7. What is the most rewarding part of serving the first responder community?
Safariland is proud of their lifesaving contributions. The company is more than a manufacturer. We get to protect those who protect us. We are committed in their mission of serving and protecting — it is built into everything we make.
8. Do you support any charitable organizations within public safety or the community? Tell us more
Major Chiefs, FBINAA, NTOA
9. What's next for your company? Any upcoming new projects or initiatives?
- Tactical Armor Line – 2/25/21
- Liberator IV/V – 3/3/21
- Bianchi IWB/OWB Convertible Holster – 5/4/21