6 tips for choosing tactical knives
Here are some practical guidelines for choosing a good duty knife
Guidelines for choosing a good tactical duty knife
- Decide if you want to carry one or two knives. One working knife to beat, bang, pry and get dirty, along with one to keep for personal defense.
- For either of the choices you want a solid knife, a locking folder knife or a sheathed knife.
- For all purposes a 3" to 5” blade is in the wise category. Longer is not better.
- The blade should be stout — thin is not in, 3/16” area is a good recommendation.
- As far as serrated or plain, I prefer plain, it’s easier to take care of and touch up the edge.
- By all means, go by your police department's regulations and guidelines. Training is good, but being familiar with your equipment and having a plan of action when things go bad is paramount.
This article, originally published 7/23/2007, has been updated.