Retired captain shot to death by looters at Mo. pawn shop

Police say they have made no arrests and have no suspects in the death of David Dorn

Kim Bell
St Louis Post-Dispatch

ST. LOUIS, Mo. — A retired police captain was shot to death by looters at a St. Louis pawn shop early Tuesday. His killing apparently was broadcast on Facebook Live.

David Dorn, 77, was shot in the torso about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday. He died on the sidewalk in front of the shop, Lee's Pawn & Jewelry, at 4123 Martin Luther King Drive. 

Police investigate the scene where a retired police captain was killed on Tuesday, June 2.
Police investigate the scene where a retired police captain was killed on Tuesday, June 2. (Photo/TNS)

Police have made no arrests and said they have no suspects.

The Ethical Society of Police, which represents black officers in St. Louis, mourned Dorn as  "the type of brother that would've given his life to save them if he had to."

"Violence is not the answer, whether it's a citizen or officer. RIP Captain!"

The killing happened on a night of violence and destruction in St. Louis.

Dorn's wife, Ann Marie Dorn, said David Dorn was a friend of the pawn shop's owner and worked for him. He would show up at the shop when burglar alarms sounded to check on the shop, she said. She was too distraught to talk more about her husband.

David Dorn retired in October 2007 from the St. Louis Police Department after 38 years on the job. Dorn rose in the ranks in the St. Louis Police Department from rookie patrol officer in 1969 to captain. He was the deputy commander of the Bureau of Patrol Support, which oversees traffic and mounted patrols, commercial vehicles and the tactical unit.

When he retired from the St. Louis police force, he became police chief in Moline Acres.

Several people on social media said they watched a broadcast on Facebook Live that showed looting and killing. A member of the Ethical Society of Police said the group is aware of the broadcast. One of those who apparently saw the death is State Rep. Rasheen Aldridge, D-St. Louis. He told the Post-Dispatch shortly after watching the broadcast that he was shaken by it. 

"Very traumatized right now," he said in a message to a reporter, about an hour after it happened. "I'm hurting."

Others were sickened by it.

"It’s one thing to be a victim of a robbery/assault but to lie in you own blood pleading for help and no help comes other than people standing around on FB Live recording his death," one viewer wrote on Facebook. "All over social media. I’m upset and can’t sleep!"

The post was taken down shortly after it was broadcast. A Facebook spokesman, Andy Stone, said he was trying to track down information about the alleged broadcast.


McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Copyright © 2023 Police1. All rights reserved.