Trending Topics

BWC: Dallas officers rescue hostage, attempt to de-escalate before fatal OIS of armed man

After nearly an hour of speaking with the suspect and using less lethal devices, the man charged at officers with a knife, leading to the shooting

By Joanna Putman

DALLAS — The Dallas Police Department has released body camera footage showing the moments leading up to a fatal police shooting of a man who threatened a woman and ran at officers with a knife, NBC DFW reported.

The Santa Monica Police Department’s drone is part of a First Responder Program that uses a sworn officer pilot to fly the drone and can assist responding officers on scene
Mental Health
“I don’t believe there is much attention given to the fact that we are people, too, and the job is stressful and has been in the past decade,” said Spanish Fort PD Chief John Barber
A multi-day mission targeting street takeovers netted a dozen arrests and 33 cars towed, but the events still pop up nearly every weekend, Lt. Chadd Stensgaard said
Baldwin’s legal team has signaled its intention to sue a Santa Fe sheriff and prosecutor after it was revealed they withheld evidence during his trial

The June 28 incident occurred after a 911 call reported that a man with a knife and machete was threatening a woman and a dog in a tent, according to the report.

When officers arrived at the scene, they located the suspect and the woman, who was injured. Body camera video released on July 1 shows the woman indicating that the suspect was armed. Officers instructed the suspect to drop the weapon and exit the tent, but he refused. After multiple commands, the woman exited the tent and was assisted by officers.

After the suspect continued to refuse to exit the tent, officers used less lethal methods, including pepper spray, a TASER and a 44mm stinger. The suspect still did not comply and threw a knife in the direction of officers.

After about 50 minutes of attempted de-escalation, the suspect can be heard shouting, “Why don’t you all just kill me then?” and charged at the officers with another knife.

Two officers fired at the suspect, hitting him at least once, according to the report. Officers provided first aid until paramedics from Dallas Fire-Rescue arrived. The suspect was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The woman was also hospitalized for minor injuries and is expected to recover.

Dallas Police Chief Eddie Garcia emphasized that officers used non-lethal methods before resorting to lethal force.

“They tried utilizing talking him down. They utilized a TASER, they utilized a less-lethal foam round on the individual, and still, nothing,” Garcia said. “So, in defense of their lives, is why they decided to do that. It’s a tragedy for everyone.”