Trending Topics

Armed man shoots Ore. cop, takes hostage before SWAT shoots him

The gunman hit Sgt. Lee Jundt in his ballistic vest


By Everton Bailey Jr.
The Oregonian

GLADSTONE, Ore. — An armed bicyclist shot a Gladstone police sergeant after fleeing a traffic stop Monday and then took a woman hostage at a Subway sandwich shop before the SWAT team ended the standoff by shooting him, authorities said.

The gunman hit Sgt. Lee Jundt in his ballistic vest, but Jundt is expected to recover, said Gladstone police spokesman Officer Eric Graves. The woman was unhurt.

Police didn’t release the suspect’s condition. He was treated at the scene and taken to Providence Willamette Falls Medical Center in Oregon City.

The confrontation began about 6:30 p.m. when a Gladstone officer tried to stop a man on a bike near West Gloucester Street and Risley Avenue for an apparent municipal traffic code violation, Graves said.

The man rode away and the officer lost sight of him.

Jundt found the man less than 100 yards away in the parking lot of a Subway. The man pulled out a handgun and fired several shots at Jundt, Graves said.

Jundt, a 20-year police veteran in Gladstone, was shot once, Graves said. It didn’t appear he was seriously injured. He wasn’t taken to hospital, said Clackamas County sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Brian Jensen.

The man ran into the Subway off McLoughlin Boulevard, with several people still inside. Most of them got out, but the man took a woman hostage, Graves said. It’s not clear if she was an employee or a customer.

SWAT team members arrived about 6:40 p.m and a hostage negotiator talked to the man by calling him on the woman’s cellphone and the Subway phone.

The suspect made “several demands” and wasn’t cooperating, Jensen said. At some point, the SWAT team fired twice at the man and hit him at least once, he said.

Police went into the Subway about 8:10 p.m., arrested the man and got the woman out safely, Jensen said.

The woman was “obviously shaken up,” but wasn’t injured, Jensen said.

“For this poor lady, this is going to be a lifelong traumatic event. This is devastating to her as well as the officers involved,” he said.

Authorities are still trying to determine the identity of the suspect. They didn’t name the officer or officers who fired.

Yellow tape blocked off the Subway and several nearby businesses late into the night. A dark-colored bike lay on its side in front of the sandwich shop. One of the front windows of the shop was broken out.

Investigators were still combing the area with flashlights for evidence.

“We’re just very pleased that the hostage is OK and the officer is not injured,” said Gladstone Police Chief Jeff Jolley.

Copyright 2016 The Oregonian