Amid all the grumblings about law enforcement over the years, there have been bright spots of support, which can be hard to see among all the negative chatter.
In this episode of the Policing Matters podcast, sponsored by OfficerStore.com, host Jim Dudley speaks with Craig W. Floyd, founder and president of Citizens Behind the Badge (CBB), a nonprofit advocacy organization formed in 2020 to end the disastrous “defund and defame the police” movement and ensure that our nation’s law enforcement professionals receive the support and respect needed and deserved to keep America safe.
About our sponsor
Craig is also the founding chief executive officer emeritus of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund (NLEOMF), a nonprofit organization he helped establish in 1984 to honor the service and sacrifice of America’s law enforcement officers. Craig retired from the Memorial Fund at the end of December 2018.
This episode of the Policing Matters podcast is sponsored by OfficerStore. Learn more about getting the gear you need at prices you can afford by visiting OfficerStore.com.
Top quotes from this episode
- “Citizens Behind the Badge is about mobilizing the American people, those who support law enforcement, and get their voices heard.”
- “These are special men and women who do amazing things that are usually behind the scenes when no one is looking and no one is filming.”
- “We are mailing millions of letters across this country asking them to sign a declaration of support for their local chiefs and sheriffs officers and we have over 100,000 returned already. We send those letters of support to the chiefs and sheriffs around the country as a way to let them know that the vast majority of citizens in your community support what you are doing.”
Additional resources on law enforcement advocacy
- Beyond ‘Thank you for your service': How to encourage citizen support of law enforcement officers
- A letter to the American public: The steps you can take to support quality communities
- A police advocate’s simple suggestion: Walk a simulated mile in a cop’s shoes
About Citizens Behind the Badge
Founded in 2020, Citizens Behind the Badge is dedicated to becoming the leading voice of the American people in support of the men and women in law enforcement. The organization’s goals are to counter and put an end to the misguided and disastrous movement to “defund the police,” to ensure that law enforcement receives the resources needed to keep our nation safe; to conduct a massive public education campaign in support of law enforcement; to significantly bolster law enforcement recruitment efforts; to promote pro-law enforcement matters from the grassroots perspective; to help make the economic, social and media environment safer for law enforcement personnel and their families; and to advance local, state and federal domestic policy in support of this important mission.
Citizens Behind the Badge is a nonprofit 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization based in McLean, Virginia. It was founded by Craig W. Floyd, Founding CEO Emeritus of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. Under Craig’s leadership, two national treasures were created: the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in 1991; and the National Law Enforcement Museum in 2018. Joining him as founding board members are Bill Erfurth, a retired and highly distinguished 26-year veteran of the Miami-Dade Police Department, and Dennis Collins, the father of a law enforcement officer and a longtime advocate and volunteer leader in the policing profession.
Rate and review the Policing Matters podcast