NY troopers rescue fisherman who fell through ice

State troopers used a ladder and rope to rescue the man from the frigid water

The Evening Tribune, Hornell, N.Y.

WAYLAND — State Police made a daring rescue Wednesday morning of a fisherman who had fallen through the ice at Loon Lake, authorities said.

At approximately 11:28 a.m., Wednesday Steuben County emergency dispatchers sent the State Police a report of two anglers who had fallen through the ice on Loon Lake in Wayland.

State troopers pose in front of an icy pond after rescuing a fisherman in Wayland, New York.
State troopers pose in front of an icy pond after rescuing a fisherman in Wayland, New York. (New York State Police)

Trooper Matthew McKinney was in the area of the lake when the call was dispatched. McKinney observed a male subject, Spencer R. Eaton, 20, at an ice shanty on the lake. McKinney makes contact with Eaton to determine if he was out fishing by himself. It was then discovered that Eaton's stepfather, Marc D. Rounsville, 49, had fallen through the ice.

Eaton was attempting to pull his stepfather from the water, but was unable to. McKinney then returned to his troop car and drove to the Laf A Lot Restaurant boat launch to establish a rescue route. McKinney obtained a life vest from the restaurant and the rope from his patrol vehicle.

Troopers Rocky Cerretto and Jason Allison, along with Inv. Jeremy Hagadone then arrived on scene. Under Hagadone's direction, a ladder was obtained from the Laf A Lot Restaurant and three lengths of rope were tied together.

Hagadone then fastened one rope end to the waist of Trooper McKinnney. McKinney carried the ladder to prevent completely falling through the ice as he traveled toward Rounsville. Despite running out of rope length, McKinney put himself at risk and continued another 100 to 150 feet to reach Rounsville. McKinney then placed the ladder on the ice next to Rounsville. After considerable efforts, Rounsville was pulled from the water and rolled onto the ladder.

The ladder was then used as a make-shift stretcher and it was pulled from the hazardous edge. Fire department personnel were then able to then get Rounsville to land.

Rounsville was transported from the scene by ambulance to Noyes Memorial Hospital in Bath for exposure treatment. His condition was not available.

(c)2020 The Evening Tribune, Hornell, N.Y.

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Copyright © 2021 Police1. All rights reserved.