N.J. neighborhood enters 2nd day of lockdown for SWAT standoff with armed man

Residents are being asked to shelter in place as a safety precaution during the "dynamic situation"


By Anthony G. Attrino
nj.com

BERGEN COUNTY, N.J. — Residents in a Bergen County neighborhood were ordered to shelter in place for a second day on Wednesday after police and the county’s SWAT team responded to a report of an armed man barricaded inside a home.

Police activity continued early Wednesday on Thomas Avenue between Chase Avenue and Eighth Street, according to the Lyndhurst Police Department.

While the man was armed with weapons, he did not have hostages, sources familiar with the situation told NJ Advance Media.

“This area remains on lockdown. Those residents who had been asked to shelter in place are asked to continue with that safety precaution,” police said in a statement posted to social media.

“There was a SWAT response to an address on Thomas Avenue,” a spokeswoman from the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office said Wednesday, adding that additional information would be released later in the day.

Police on Tuesday night alerted residents to “an ongoing, dynamic situation” in the area, but dispelled rumors that gunshots had been fired.

“Currently, officers from multiple agencies are on scene and will be a presence in the area while assisting with our investigation. We continue to urge you to stay in your residence for the time being,” the statement said.

“If appropriate and if possible, we will attempt to make arrangements to safely remove you from the affected streets,” police said.

[RELATED: “But we can’t just leave!”: How LAPD SWAT implemented a strategic disengagement policy]

Lyndhurst police said Wednesday morning that students in the area would be granted permission to be late for school. “The Lyndhurst Board of Education has been made aware of the ongoing situation,” police said.

Residents with questions or concerns about the police activity can call 201-446-2378 for more information.

Lyndhurst Mayor Robert B. Giangeruso, who is also the township’s police commissioner, said police remained at the scene as of 8:15 a.m. Wednesday and referred further questions to the prosecutor’s office.

©2022 Advance Local Media LLC. Visit nj.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

SWAT news from P1 to your inbox

Thanks! You've been successfully signed up for the Police1 SWAT

Copyright © 2022 Police1. All rights reserved.