Spotlight: CARFAX digital tools are available to law enforcement agencies for free
CARFAX for Police’s 29 billion vehicle records power a suite of investigative tools that support rapid case resolution
Company Name: CARFAX for Police
Headquarters: Centreville, Virginia
Signature Product: CARFAX for Police
1. What was the inspiration behind starting your company?
CARFAX for Police began with a simple idea just over a decade ago: power law enforcement with the most unique vehicle history information that helps them solve crime – for free.
2. What is your signature product and how does it work?
CARFAX for Police provides a powerful, law enforcement-exclusive suite of interoperable investigative tools, powered by the CARFAX vehicle history report, that supports rapid case resolution.
This unique and proprietary database provides investigators and analysts with access to more than 28 billion vehicle history data points to support solving violent crimes; organized crimes; drug, human and gun trafficking; hit-and-runs; and thefts, among others.
The five investigative tools include:
- Vehicle History Report – The definitive search tool for vehicle history. Track location, accident data and service records.
- Partial License Plate Search – Search for vehicles-of-interest with just three license plate characters. Filter by make, model, color and more to narrow down the search.
- VIN Alert – These click-it-and-forget-it alerts will send an alert as soon as new information on the VIN-of-interest enters the database.
- High Mileage Alert – Identify questionable vehicles involved in dealership and rental car fraud, as well as vehicles with altered VINs.
- Crash Report Center – Nationwide access to the CARFAX database of accident reports to identify vehicles-of-interest.
3. Why do you believe your products are essential to the police community?
CARFAX for Police provides trusted insights and solutions that power law enforcement agencies to create better-protected communities, and safer, more efficient agencies. More than 5,100 data-sharing law enforcement agencies across North America trust and rely upon an ever-growing, no-cost suite of web-based, digital traffic, records, training, and interoperable investigative tools and solutions that serve as force multipliers in resolving cases using more than 28 billion vehicle history records, driving workflow efficiencies, improving safety and building better community relationships.
4. What makes your company unique?
CARFAX for Police has the world’s largest vehicle information database – 29 billion records. This is available to law enforcement agencies for free. This data from 130,000-plus sources powers a suite of law enforcement-only investigative tools that support rapid case resolution.
In addition to the investigative tools, CARFAX for Police has created other digital tools to support law enforcement agencies in their mission to protect and serve. These tools are also available at no cost.
- Traffic Solutions – Automate reportable and non-reportable crash data capture and distribution with Driver Exchange and eCrash.
- Records Solutions – 24/7 online report ordering, distribution and dashboard tracking with QuickCounter. We also fulfill bulk requests from corporate purchasers, and insurance and law firms.
5. What do your customers like best about you and your products?
Everything CARFAX for Police does is to support law enforcement’s mission to protect and serve.
- Investigative Tools help them get leads and solve crimes faster.
- The Traffic Solutions (Drive Exchange and eCrash) improve efficiency and accuracy, helping to clear crash scenes faster.
- Records Solutions eliminate the need for the records staff to respond to crash report requests from both citizens and corporate requestors. CARFAX for Police can distribute report requests on their behalf and the agency keeps all revenue.
6. What is the most rewarding part of serving the police community?
The CARFAX for Police story is rooted deeply in understanding what matters most to law enforcement. Our shared values and shared mission with front-line officers and executive agency leaders ensure our tools and solutions address the most pressing challenges agencies face each day.
More than 80,000 law enforcement professionals trust and rely on CARFAX for Police to help them protect and serve. Partnering with CARFAX for Police powers more than an agency's investigations. This vehicle data also helps tell a story and assists others in the interoperable network to achieve their individual goals. Notable within the network is the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which credits successes in bringing missing children home to CARFAX for Police.
7. Do you support any charitable organizations? Tell us more.
We support Coffee with a Cop, a nonprofit that breaks down the barriers between police officers and the citizens they serve. CARFAX for Police and Coffee with a Cop share a common mission and values that aim to build stronger, safer communities. As part of the partnership, we work with Coffee with a Cop to host Common Ground, an online training session that highlights law enforcement agencies that have implemented successful community engagement programs.
8. Is there any fun fact or trivia that you’d like to share with our users about you or your company?
Every 37 seconds, a law enforcement professional runs a CARFAX report.
9. What’s next for your company?
Driver Exchange, a digital tool used to quickly collect and disseminate reportable and nonreportable crash reports, is getting an upgrade this fall. New features will give officers more control and flexibility when responding to crashes.
Request information from CARFAX