Calif. police shoot, kill man after rampage leaves 2 stabbed, including off-duty officer

After the man attempted to steal a vehicle, he stabbed two people, fought off responding officers and instigated a police pursuit in a stolen patrol vehicle

Aldo Toledo
Palo Alto Daily News

SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. — Police shot and killed a man who went on a rampage that began at a gas station early Sunday morning, stabbing one customer and an off-duty police officer, evading attempts by other officers to arrest him and even trying to escape in a patrol vehicle.

The South San Francisco Police Department responded to a call at about 5:35 a.m. of two men fighting at the Chevron gas station located at 110 Hickey Boulevard.

Police said one of the subjects involved in the fight had attempted to carjack vehicles from two different victims, attacking one person in the gas station with a knife and stabbing him.

An off-duty San Francisco police officer, who witnessed the attack, attempted to intervene and was also stabbed by the suspect before drawing his weapon and shooting the man.

Despite having been shot, the man fought off arriving police. Officers also tried to shoot the man with a stun gun, but he again fought them off, got inside an officer’s patrol car and fled.

Responding police officers rushed to their own patrol cars and chased him to the Kaiser Permanente medical facility on Hickey Boulevard in Daly City, where the man attempted to drive through the gates to the parking garage.

The man then rammed a pursuing police vehicle before exiting the stolen patrol car, pulling out his knife and confronting another officer.

Police said the man refused to comply with multiple commands to surrender and “officers were forced to shoot the suspect.” Police gave him first aid immediately, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Both the victim of the carjacking and the off-duty cop who were stabbed were taken to local hospitals for treatment of their injuries and were expected to fully recover.

Police did not release an identifying information about the suspect who was killed.

No South San Francisco police officers were injured during the incident and an investigation is ongoing.

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Copyright © 2023 Police1. All rights reserved.