Man in shooting spree sought suicide, says officers are 'bad shots'

Man accused of shooting at police stations, patrol cars and officers told detectives he wanted to be killed and was disappointed in their marksmanship

Associated Press

EVERETT, Wash. — The man accused of shooting at police stations, patrol cars and officers in three Washington cities told detectives he wanted to be killed and was disappointed in their marksmanship, according to papers filed in court.

"Your guys aren't very good shots," Hans Hansen told detectives at the hospital where he was treated for a head wound.

The statement is in an affidavit filed Monday in Everett District Court before his court appearance, The Daily Herald reported.

Hansen, 43, of Granite Falls was jailed over the weekend after his release from the hospital. He was held without bail for investigation of multiple counts of assault and drive-by shooting.

Upset at health, financial and personal problems Wednesday, he armed himself with six rifles, a shotgun and handgun and shot up police stations and cars at Granite Falls and Lakes Stevens before he was wounded in shootout from his pickup truck with officers in Marysville.

One officer, Marysville Sgt. Jim Maple, was struck in the leg by shrapnel and treated at a hospital.

Hansen's head was grazed and bled heavily. He was convinced he was dying so he surrendered, detectives wrote.

He explained his cabinet business had failed and he'd been evicted from a Granite Falls industrial park. He has a vascular disease and one of his legs must be amputated soon. He expects to lose his house in January because he hasn't been able to pay the mortgage. His wife sent him an upsetting text message. He started drinking.

Hansen decided to gather several guns that he owned and go to several locations where police might be "so he could fire at cars and buildings and engage the police in a gunfight and be killed," Snohomish County sheriff's Det. Tedd Betts wrote.

Hansen took two AK-47 rifles, one AR-15 rifle, two .22-caliber rifles, one .300-caliber Winston short magnum rifle, a shotgun and a .40-caliber handgun. He admitted to firing multiple rounds into a building at the industrial park, detectives wrote.

Hansen reloaded and drove to the Granite Falls Police Department and Lake Stevens Police Department shooting buildings and cars. He was headed to the Marysville Police Department when he spotted a patrol car and police followed him into a final shootout.

From the Marysville Police Department, Hansen had planned to move on to the Navy Support Complex in Marysville. He figured that military personnel would kill him if police were not successful.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press

Recommended for you

Copyright © 2021 Police1. All rights reserved.