Police: Bow-and-arrow ‘act of terror’ kills 5 in Norway
Three others were wounded, including an off-duty police officer
By Suzie Ziegler
KONGSBERG, Norway — A Danish man is in custody after he went on a rampage with a bow and arrow Wednesday night, killing five people and wounding three, reported the Associated Press. An off-duty police officer was among the wounded.
According to the report, the man began attacking residents at a supermarket in the small town of Kongsberg, about 50 miles from Oslo. The man continued through downtown, possibly with other weapons, before he was arrested 30 minutes after the attack began, police said.
Norway’s domestic security agency said the incident “currently appears to be an act of terrorism.” The suspect was also already known to police, according to the Associated Press.
“There earlier had been worries of the man having been radicalized,” said Kongsberg’s police chief during a news conference. Police did not elaborate on the radicalization.
The 37-year-old suspect will now undergo a psychiatric evaluation, police said.
A 37-year-old Danish citizen is suspected of killing five people in a bow-and-arrow attack in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg in a rare incident of mass killing in Norway, police said https://t.co/RoP73L4hm5 pic.twitter.com/xrHIxSRUOu— Reuters (@Reuters) October 14, 2021
Police measuring arrow stuck in a wooden wall in#kongsberg— Fredrik Drevon (@FredrikDrevon) October 14, 2021
Photo: Lars Nyland @tv2nyhetene
Recommended people to follow: @TV2Kadafi reporter.@Hegghammer expert on terrorism, researcher at Norwegian Defense Research Establishment pic.twitter.com/e0DftNW1Pi