Tenn. deputy garners community support after losing everything in devasting NYE house fire

Corporal Lance Thomas and his family lost their home and all of their belongings when a space heater overturned, causing a bed to catch fire

By Ashley Silver

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — A Tenn. deputy is leaning on the community for support after his home was destroyed after a devastating New Year’s Eve house fire.

WATE News reported that KCSO Corporal Lance Thomas and his family lost everything when a space heater overturned and led to a bed catching fire, causing the large family to be displaced and split between two family members’ homes.

“What wasn’t damaged by the fire was damaged by heat and smoke and water,” Thomas told WATE. “We lost all of our furniture, there was nothing of that savable. All of the clothing for the kids, my wife, and me, we lost all those. We are basically starting over.”

If there is one positive to be found regarding the incident, it’s the outpouring of compassion and support from first responders and the community toward Corporal Thomas and his family.

“I just want to thank all of the first responders who came out and worked so hard to save what they could of the house,” Thomas said. “I also want to thank the community. People have driven by and dropped off clothing, they’ve dropped off food items, cleaning supplies, and things that we need. They have donated on the GoFundMe that’s out there. They’ve done so much that I could never repay them for the love and support they have shown me.”

Thomas said the donations have been vital toward their family’s rebuilding efforts.

A GoFundMe has been created to gather donations for the family.

Recommended for you

Copyright © 2023 Police1. All rights reserved.