Trending Topics

Chicago detective robbed, injured while investigating a homicide

The detective had been canvassing when two armed men came up behind him, officials said


Photo/Dreamstime, TNS

By Katherine Rosenberg-Douglas
Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO — A Chicago police detective with nearly three decades on the job was robbed in South Shore by two men Monday night as the detective investigated a homicide, police said.

The detective suffered injuries to the head and neck and was expected to recover; he last was listed in good condition, according to an emailed statement from police.

The detective had been “canvassing” in the 7700 block of South Yates Boulevard at 7 p.m. after an unrelated homicide when two men robbed him, according to the department. Canvassing generally means going door to door in an attempt to interview possible witnesses, but police spokeswoman Sally Bown said she did not have specifics about what the detective was doing at the moment he was attacked.

Two men came up to the on-duty detective “from behind,” and one was armed with a knife and one with a gun, Bown said.

The men “pushed the detective from behind and began physically assaulting him while rummaging through his pockets,” Bown said.

“There is no indication that any personal belongings of the detective were actually taken,” Bown said.

The detective’s partner saw what was happening and “came to his aid,” which prompted the two assailants to take off running. Other officers were called to the area and one of two men suspected of attacking the detective was arrested in the 2300 block of East 75th Street. The man who was arrested was the one who had been armed with a gun, Bown said.

Charges against him had not been filed as of Tuesday morning, Bown said.

The second armed robber, who had been carrying a knife, had not been located as of Tuesday. Police did not immediately release a detailed description of the man.

The detective, who has been with the department for 26 years, was taken to an area hospital for treatment of his injuries, which included cuts from the knife.

The detective suffered “minor lacerations” to the head and neck from the knife and suffered “minor bruising to the right side of his face,” Bown said. She was not sure whether the detective had been punched or what caused the bruising.

(c)2021 the Chicago Tribune