San Diego cop hurt in deadly shooting released from hospital
Officer Wade Irwin, who took a bullet to the neck in a shootout that left his partner dead last month, has been released from the hospital
By Lyndsay Winkley
The San Diego Union-Tribune
SAN DIEGO — San Diego police Officer Wade Irwin, who took a bullet to the neck in a Southcrest shootout that left his partner dead last month, was released from the hospital, police said Tuesday.
“We are pleased to announce Office Wade Irwin was released from the hospital on Saturday night and is now home recovering,” said San Diego police spokesman Lt. Scott Wahl. “He and his family are thankful for all of the support and well wishes.”
Irwin, 32, underwent two surgeries and has a long road ahead of him, according to a fundraising page set up to support the officer and his family. His wife took a leave of absence from her job to be near him and to care for their 2-year-old daughter.
The nine-year veteran and his partner, Officer Jonathan De Guzman, were patrolling in the community of Southcrest when they spotted two men hurriedly part ways July 28. The officers, both members of the gang suppression team, decided to pull up and speak to one of the men.
Irwin got out of the car and asked the man if he lived in the neighborhood. The question was answered with gunfire.
Jesse Gomez, 53, is accused of shooting Irwin and De Guzman, who was still in the patrol vehicle with his seatbelt on. The wounded Irwin then shot the suspect. A blood trail later led officers to Gomez, who was unconscious in a nearby ravine.
Community members rallied around Irwin and his family and the family of De Guzman in the wake of the shooting. Two fundraising pages to help support Irwin’s family have raised nearly $48,000.