Trending Topics

Seattle police fatally shoot man who pointed rifle at officers

The Associated Press

SEATTLE — A college student dressed in a vintage German military uniform who was fatally shot by police on New Year’s Day was a harmless, eccentric history buff, his family and friends said Friday.

Miles Murphy, a University of Washington senior, was shot several times at his apartment early Thursday after police said he pointed a rifle affixed with a bayonet at officers and refused orders to drop the weapon.

Seattle police had converged on Murphy’s apartment after receiving complaints that several men were firing rifle and shotgun rounds into the air. Murphy emerged from inside and pointed what was later identified as a World War II Kar 98 German infantry rifle at the officers, police said.

When he refused several orders to drop the weapon, two officers fired seven shots, police Officer Jeff Kappel said. Murphy was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he died.

A witness told some officers at the scene that Murphy had been firing blanks that night.

Police searching the house found alcohol, live ammunition and a large collection of German, Russian and Nazi memorabilia including photographs and uniforms, Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said.

But Murphy “wasn’t a Nazi,” Hattie Taylor, a friend, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. “He was just fascinated with the past... He liked to dress up and have fun.”

Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske called the situation “truly sad” but stood by the officers’ actions. “Right now, I don’t see any other choice that they had,” he said.

The two officers who fired at Murphy were placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

Murphy, 22, was a senior Germanics major, university President Mark Emmert said in a statement Friday mourning his loss.

Murphy wanted to be a German literature professor and had a large collection of WWII memorabilia, said his friend Spencer Bray.

He was “a peaceful and loving young man,” his mother, Dianne Murphy, told the local newspaper.

Pablo Vazquez was sentenced to a year of probation after pleading guilty to reckless endangerment charges
The court rules that the officers had no reasonable suspicion to conduct a Terry frisk in this recent case
“Little did [the suspect] know that he had a deputy who wasn’t gonna go down so easily,” Chief Neil Noakes said
A recent case takes a look at an alleged false arrest for the failure to produce identification during an investigation