By Lawrence Specker
al.com
PRICHARD, Ala. — A newly announced state grant will support the creation of a task force to combat gun violence and gang activity in Prichard, according to the governor’s office.
The $115,179 grant to the Mobile County Commission was announced Friday by Gov. Kay Ivey. The money originates with a U.S. Department of Justice program called Project Safe Neighborhoods; in Alabama the grants are administered by the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs.
| WEBINAR: What 24 years of active shooter after-action reports reveal
According to the governor’s office, the funding “will support a project by the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office to take on major crime and emergency operations” in Prichard.
The MCSO has handled most police calls in Prichard since mid-June, when local and federal agencies announced the arrest of a Prichard Police Department officer. The arrest was part of an ongoing investigation into corruption in the department. Several more officers have been arrested since then, including Chief Walter Knight.
Mobile County Sheriff Paul Burch has said the MCSO is pursuing grants to offset the cost of the effort, but a long-term solution is needed.
“This initiative will strengthen public safety in Prichard and help secure convictions in criminal cases,” Gov. Ivey said. “I commend the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office for its dedication to serve communities and keep residents safe.”
“ADECA joins with Gov. Ivey in supporting law enforcement in their efforts to reduce crime and create a safer community for residents to call home,” said ADECA Director Kenneth Boswell.
Looking to navigate the complexities of grants funding? Lexipol is your go-to resource for state-specific, fully developed grants services that can help fund your needs. Find out more about our grants services here.
©2026 Advance Local Media LLC. Visit al.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.