Minn. police arrest 2 suspects that shot 5 Black Lives Matter protesters

The suspects were described as wearing masks that left their eyes exposed

By Doug Glass and Steve Karnowski
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS — Police on Tuesday arrested two men suspected of shooting five Black Lives Matter demonstrators, while the family of a black man whose death inspired the protests called for an end to demonstrations that have gone on for days outside a Minneapolis police station.

No one suffered life-threatening wounds in Monday night's shooting, which took place about a block from the police department's 4th Precinct, where protesters have been demonstrating since the Nov. 15 death of 24-year-old Jamar Clark, who was shot by a police officer.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the attack. By Tuesday afternoon, police had announced two arrests: a 23-year-old white man taken into custody in suburban Bloomington and a 32-year-old Hispanic man arrested in south Minneapolis. Authorities said they were still seeking additional suspects.

"We are sparing no efforts to bring any and all of those responsible to justice," Mayor Betsy Hodges said in a written statement.

Henry Habu, who said he has been providing security for protesters, said he and others approached four white people who were standing under a "Justice4Jamar" sign to ask what they were doing there. The group was composed of three men and one woman, with three of them wearing masks that left their eyes exposed.

"We're here for Jamar," one said, according to Habu.

Habu said they tried to escort the four from the scene and they took off running. Habu said he did not see the shooting that followed, but heard it.

"It happened so fast," he said.

Oluchi Omeoga witnessed the shooting and said a handful of protesters followed three men in masks to a street corner, where the men pulled out weapons and began firing.

Two people were shot in the leg, another in the arm and a fourth in the stomach, said Mica Grimm, an organizer with Black Lives Matter who said she arrived on the scene soon after the shooting.

In a statement released early Tuesday through U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison's office, Clark's family thanked protesters for their "incredible support" but asked, in light of the shootings, that the demonstration outside the precinct offices end and protesters move "onto the next step."

Demonstrators planned to announce their next step later Tuesday following a meeting with community members about strategy.

On Tuesday morning, about 50 protesters were outside of the 4th Precinct, and more were trickling in. Some said they planned to stay despite the Clark family's request.

Habu said a crowd gathered around the shooting scene and police used a chemical irritant to push them back. Minneapolis police spokesman John Elder did not immediately respond to a question about the use of any chemical irritant.

Authorities have said Clark was shot during a struggle with police after he interfered with paramedics who were trying to assist an assault victim. But some people who said they saw the shooting allege Clark was handcuffed.

Protesters and Clark's family have called for investigators to release video of the shooting. The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said it has video from the ambulance, a mobile police camera and other sources, but none of the footage shows the event in its entirety. The agency, which is conducting a state investigation, said releasing the footage now would taint its investigation.

A federal criminal civil rights investigation is also underway to determine whether police intentionally violated Clark's civil rights through excessive force.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press

Request product info from top Investigation Software companies

Thank You!

By submitting your information, you agree to be contacted by the selected vendor(s) and that the data you submit is exempt from Do Not Sell My Personal Information requests. View our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Copyright © 2022 Police1. All rights reserved.