N.C. deputy shot 'multiple times' during standoff; barricaded suspect arrested

Deputy Aaron Tyndall was transported to a hospital, but is responsive and alert

By Aaron Sánchez-Guerra
The News & Observer

SEMORA, N.C. — An officer with the Caswell County Sheriff’s Office was hospitalized with serious injuries Wednesday after being shot by an armed man at a residence in the rural town of Semora, officials say.

Authorities arrested the suspect who barricaded himself inside his home for several hours after the shooting. The suspect, identified as Kevin DeSilva, surrendered to law enforcement around 4 p.m., reported ABC11, The News & Observer’s news partner.

The shooting occurred in the late morning when two sheriff’s deputies arrived at a home to serve a domestic violence protective order, Sgt. Greg Ingram told The N&O.

The man at the home started shooting deputies with one of the officers shot “multiple times,” Ingram said.

Caswell County Sheriff Tony Durden Jr. identified the deputy as Aaron Tyndall, who has worked with the sheriff’s department for over three years, according to ABC11.

He is currently hospitalized at Duke University Hospital with injuries, but is “responsive and alert, which is a great sign,” Ingram said.

Multiple law enforcement agencies were on the scene, including the North Carolina State Highway Patrol and the Sheriff’s offices of Orange, Person and Alamance counties.

Caswell County is near the Virginia state border and borders northern Orange County.

In a tweet, Gov. Roy Cooper wished Tyndall a quick recovery.

“Today, just a day after the funeral of Wayne Co. Sgt. Matthew Fishman who was shot serving papers, a Caswell Co. Deputy has been shot doing the same important duty,” said Cooper. “I pray for his recovery and I’m deeply grateful for our courageous law enforcement officers.”

Cooper said he is communicating with Durden and Department of Public Safety secretary Eddie Buffaloe regarding the incident.

Fishman was one of three deputies shot in Wayne County on Aug. 1 while serving an involuntary commitment order, McClatchy News reported. Fishman was killed while two other deputies were shot and taken to the hospital. The suspect died by suicide after barricading himself in the house.

©2022 Raleigh News & Observer. Visit newsobserver.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Copyright © 2023 Police1. All rights reserved.