Kidnapping suspect rams patrol cars, injures LEO in fatal OIS

The suspect, who tied his estranged wife up and took their three children, was fatally shot by deputies

Chelsea Prince
Atlanta Journal-Constitution

BIBB COUNTY, Ga. — A Middle Georgia father accused of kidnapping his children was shot and killed by sheriff’s deputies Tuesday after he rammed three patrol vehicles with his car, officials said.

Keith Young, 30, was under investigation after his estranged wife told authorities he tied her up inside their Bibb County home and took their three children. The children were with Young’s family and were not in the car when the shooting occurred, according to the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office. 

Deputies first became involved about 6 p.m. They met with the victim outside her home on Karlee Down after she broke free and ran to a neighbor’s house for help, Sheriff David Davis told reporters from the scene.

As they were speaking with the woman, Young returned to the neighborhood in a pickup truck.

“The husband came back, saw the sheriff’s cars at the end of the road, suddenly sped up and crashed into the sheriffs’ cars,” Davis said. “One of the sheriffs’ cars had the deputy still in it. She was injured.”

Photos from the scene showed the pickup truck rammed into the back of a cruiser, which appeared to have been pushed into another patrol vehicle. The rear of that vehicle was lifted into the air by the impact.


MEDIA RELEASE: Domestic Disturbance Investigation Bibb County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a home located on...

Posted by Bibb County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Deputies opened fire on Young, striking him, Davis said. He was taken to the Navicent Health Medical Center in Macon, where he later died.

The three children were later turned over to sheriff’s investigators, who returned them to the custody of their mother late Tuesday night. 

According to Macon news station WGXA, Young was a teacher and coach at Academy of Classical Education in Macon. He taught social studies at the high school for two years but was not going to return in the fall, a spokeswoman for the school told the news station.

“This incident is currently under investigation along with the assistance of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation,” the sheriff’s office said in a news release.

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Copyright © 2021 Police1. All rights reserved.