Texas officer facing murder charge in fatal shooting fired

The former officer's attorney argued that Shaun Lucas, 22, "acted within policy and law" in the slaying of Jonathan Price

By Dana Branham
The Dallas Morning News

DALLAS — The City of Wolfe City fired the police officer who shot and killed a man for what it called an “egregious violation” of the city and police department’s policies.

The officer, 22-year-old Shaun Lucas, is behind bars in Collin County. He faces a murder charge after he shot and killed 31-year-old Jonathan Price on Saturday. Lucas is white and Price was Black.

This booking photo shows Wolfe City Police Officer Shaun Lucas on Monday, Oct. 5, 2020. (Hunt County Sheriff's Office via AP)
This booking photo shows Wolfe City Police Officer Shaun Lucas on Monday, Oct. 5, 2020. (Hunt County Sheriff's Office via AP)

The city said in a statement posted to its website that it conducted an administrative investigation into the shooting alongside the Texas Rangers’ criminal investigation.

“Earlier today Mr. Lucas was terminated for his egregious violation of the City’s and police department’s policies,” the statement said. The statement did not specify which policies were violated.

“Wolfe City is a tight-knit community, and we join you in mourning Jonathan’s death and the events of the last week,” the city said in the statement. “We also ask that you remember our City employees, many of whom worked with both Mr. Price and Mr. Lucas as we eventually begin the work of healing our town and the community at large.”

Price’s family and friends have said he worked for the city, in addition to his job as a personal trainer.

An affidavit released Wednesday shed more light on the shooting Saturday night.

According to the affidavit, Lucas was called about 8:30 p.m. Saturday about a “possible fight in progress” at a convenience store in Wolfe City, which is a 70-mile drive from Dallas.

When Lucas arrived, Price approached him and extended his hand for a handshake, asking the officer “You doing good?” several times, according to the affidavit. Lucas later said he believed Price was intoxicated and tried to detain him.

The officer tried to grab Price’s arm and gave him “verbal commands” before pulling out his Taser and deploying it on Price, according to the affidavit.

Price walked toward Lucas while being struck by the Taser and appeared to grab the end of the Taser, the affidavit says.

Lucas then fired four shots from his service weapon, striking Price in the upper torso. He later died at a hospital.

Price’s family and friends have said he had been trying to break up a fight just before he was killed, and that witnesses told them he had his hands up when the officer fired his Taser.

Price’s cousin, Barbara Price, said Thursday after the news of Lucas’ firing that the family has their sights set on justice for Price.

“They all get fired. We want a conviction,” she said in a Facebook message, adding that the officer should have been fired before his arrest.

Lucas’ attorney, Robert Rogers, has previously said the officer “only discharged his weapon in accordance with Texas law” and fired his gun when Price attempted to take his Taser. He could not be reached Thursday afternoon.

Lucas remained in jail Thursday, with his bail set at $1 million.

©2020 The Dallas Morning News

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Copyright © 2020 Police1. All rights reserved.