Texas officer shot by cop killer released from hospital

Officer Chad Davis, 37, was shot in an exchange of gunfire after the gunman fatally shot Officer Lance McLean

By Bill Miller
Fort Worth Star-Telegram

GRANBURY, Texas — The Granbury police officer wounded in a deadly shootout Friday was released from a Fort Worth hospital Monday and hopes he can attend the funeral today of a Hood County deputy sheriff who was killed earlier by the same gunman, Granbury Police Chief Mitch Galvan said Monday.

Officer Chad Davis, 37, was shot in an exchange of gunfire with Ricky Don McCommas near Granbury City Hall. Investigators believe that McCommas shot Hood County sheriff's Sgt. Lance McLean earlier as McLean responded to a 911 call in a rural area 41/2 miles north of Granbury.

McLean died Saturday at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth. The 38-year-old deputy is survived by a wife and two children. His funeral is set for this morning in Hico.

McCommas, 49, was killed in the shootout with police and deputies.

The shot that wounded Davis entered his arm just below the shoulder joint and went out through his back, Galvan said. 

Investigators could not find the bullet, Galvan said.

Galvan said Monday that Davis "has a huge desire" to be at McLean's funeral.

"It all comes down to if he can handle the trip to Hico and the possible heat of the day," Galvan said. "He has swelling in the shoulder and upper body that is massive."

Galvan said Davis has been able to move the fingers in his right hand.

"That was a great sign that tells us everything from the shoulder down to the fingers is fine," the chief said.

Davis, a 12-year veteran of the department, and his wife, Cari, issued a statement though Galvan. They expressed "heartfelt thanks to our community of Granbury, and the citizens across our great state of Texas, for the outpouring of support and prayers we have received." They thanked Fort Worth police and the hospital staff.

"We would also like to extend our condolences to Sgt. Lance McLean's family and the Hood County Sheriff's Office. Our love and prayers are with you during this time of loss."

An AR-style assault weapon was found at the scene, and other guns were in the van driven by McCommas, a licensed gun dealer, authorities said.

Nearly three dozen firearms, including several AR-style rifles, and about 10,000 rounds of ammunition were seized Friday from McCommas' home in Joshua.

McCommas had been accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl a year ago in Joshua. His trial was set for next month, and he had a court appearance scheduled for Friday morning in Cleburne. Instead, authorities have said, he went to the girl's home in a rural area north of Granbury. McLean responded to a 911 call about a disturbance there. He was shot in the head.

McCommas fled toward Granbury. Police were alerted and were told to watch for a white van. Davis was the first to spot it and start tfollowing it, Galvan said. He was soon joined by other patrol cars, Galvan said.

A Sheriff's Department vehicle was driving toward the van from the opposite direction, he said.

That's when the gunman pulled into a City Hall parking lot, got out and "made his stand," Galvan said. Dozens of rounds were fired. 

Shell casings littered the pavement afterward.

The lot is less than a block away from Granbury's popular courthouse square.

Galvan praised Davis and other law officers for stopping McCommas.

"If he had decided to stop on the square with all the shopping and business, it would not have been good," Galvan said.

Copyright 2013 the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Copyright © 2023 Police1. All rights reserved.